ACN Latitudes Forums

Looking for 504 information

laure

Dd 12 back in school, a new school, beginning early December and doing extremely well, however, I am feeling a 504 may be necessary. After much testing she landed in accelerated math, but after not finishing her mid-term exam, at our request the teacher gave her more time. With the extra time she scored a 93, without it an 81, this after missing the first 3 months of school. He found that interesting, and asked the classroom teacher what she thought about a 504 for dd. The classroom teacher spoke with dd who told teacher that the problem was that she needed to check and re-check every answer many times. Classroom teacher told her not to re-check (!!!!!) She also needs to re-read things many times. Sooooo, now feeling like we may soon need this. The problem is that she is pretty successful most of the time so teachers don't see her as having any special needs; but with more time on tests and separating assignment due dates so the anxiety of a long night of homework (due to perfectionism) is avoided, she could be extremely successful. I think our kids deserve that opportunity - if they see themselves as "smart" it would be a huge confidence boost.

Anyone have any sample letters regarding neurological impairment, etc. for the doctor to just

sign?

Thanks in advance!

I provide speech/language services for students both via IEP and 504 agreement. Some parents think a 504 isn't as legally binding as an IEP but this is not true at all. The difference between the two documents is the need for specially designed instruction for an IEP, which your dd does not need. For a 504 agreement, she does need a diagnosis which could be "Other Health Impairment" used often for ADHD. This could be used for OCD as well with accommodations for extended time. I have 2 high school students who has a 504 plans for language impairments of word retrieval- she simple needs longer to process and retrieve info and this plan has worked for her to be granted 1.5 time for SATs and AP exams as well as classroom tests. I was careful as her case manger to document statements from teachers year after year about her utilization of extended time. This is what the Boards were looking for and it was fine. Nobody believed it would work, not the psychologist or guidance counselor. But I've done this for 2 students.

My point is that it might not seem like that big of a deal in 6th grade, but the stakes will get higher and the complexity of material in more advanced classes will escalate. You need to start documenting now and not wait until she absolutely must have extended time or she'll fail AP tests.

My advice would be to talk directly with the school psychologist. Teachers can be well meaning; middle school and high school teachers are all about self-reliance which can prevent them from hearing what you are saying. The school psychologist should get the rituals and tell you exactly what she needs to issue a 504 plan. I believe there will need to be an evaluation by the school district first.

I agree with JAG10 -- I think you should look into it too. A 504 can provide her with extra testing time, and it is obvious that she needs it if she has to check and recheck. If she has a diagnosis of OCD and other things (or even just the OCD) you should be able to get a 504 with a doctors note and observations from the teachers. I would work on it this year since things will get harder as she gets older and this way you will have the 504 in place. You can always make adjustments to it each year. Wondering if she can get extra time on assignments if needed too.

The letters I have used are pretty general,-- My patient xyz name has diagnoseis of abc. She is being treated with 123. Her OCD rituals make it very difficult for her to finish her tests on time and focus on homework (or whatever ...). Please consider accommodations such as extra time for testing and homework assignments for her.

Most doctors (neuro, psychs) have a standard letter.

Edited by StillHopeful

As a twelfth grade teacher and college instructor, I can assure you that you will want this in place as standardized testing becomes. The ACT students take in 7th grade can place them in the Duke/Tip program providing cool summer learning opportunities. Getting a 504 or IEP in place once you hit high school is more complicated,because parents often seek them (sometimes without sound basis) for upcoming ACT/ SAT tests. It is essential you do this now. Especially while you seem to have a cooperative school.

Wow, thanks all for this incredibly on-point information! I had not really thought about the future for her (guess we all hope this stuff goes away soon) but excellent points here. It is true that the middle school is focused on self-reliance, and so a request from a parent can be seen as interference with that. Her math teacher, being a numbers guy, actually quantified how much extra time it took her (1.2 min. per problem as compared to 1.1 min. for her classmates) and demonstrated how much more successful she could be given a little more time, so some good supporting evidence there. She has two doctors who can support, and of course the folks at Rothman where we head in 2 weeks. I will speak with school psychologist this week.

I am lucky in that this new school is tiny (11 kids in her entire grade, 120 kids in the entire K-12 school) and so they are incredibly happy to have her join the class. Probably the best move we have made for her in 2 years.

Thank you all again for the thoughtful and insightful ideas!

If you PM me your email address, I can pass along the information we used to get my daughter a 504 plan. She's only in 1st grade, but like your daughter, she does well academically - but can do much better with extra time for assignments and some other accomodations. The school responded very well to the information I provided and even granted us accomodations we weren't asking for yet (like extra time on tests and special accomodations for standardized tests) Their point was why wait for the FCAT (a VERY high stakes test in Florida beginning in 3rd grade) to see if we need to make these accomodations - we know if she's sick she will have these issues - that way write them in now.