ACN Latitudes Forums

Moving out of/remediating moldy house

We're in the new apartment slowly bringing over just what we need to live right now. I am so paranoid about bringing spores over, but it seems virtually impossible not to bring ANY. I had my car detailed, dumped my purse and wallet, cleaned every credit/plastic card, washed coins in the dishwasher, had the dog professionally groomed, bought new mattresses and towels, left all my shoes behind and bought one new pair, bought a new vacuum cleaner, bought new tooth brushes and makeup, made everyone shower and put their clothes directly into the washer if they had been at our house, used booties to walk around the apartment if we weren't staying long, and on and on. We also vacuumed and used an air compressor on the few pieces of hard furniture we've brought over so far, alternating this with wiping it down with clorox wipes and vinegar. Even so, I'm afraid we've made mistakes or been sloppy and messed it up. We washed the clothes at our house on a sanitize cycle with detergent and vinegar, dried them on a sanitize setting, and put them right into clean plastic bags, but now I'm afraid that was a mistake. I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't take your clothes to a laundramat, because these are often moldy or being used by people from moldy buildings, so I don't really know what the right solution is.

Red, do you think lots of vacuuming and meticulous cleaning at the new place will mitigate any mistakes we've made in the move?

Also, can electronics such as tv, stereo, and boombox be salvaged? Piano?

We're in the new apartment slowly bringing over just what we need to live right now. I am so paranoid about bringing spores over, but it seems virtually impossible not to bring ANY. I had my car detailed, dumped my purse and wallet, cleaned every credit/plastic card, washed coins in the dishwasher, had the dog professionally groomed, bought new mattresses and towels, left all my shoes behind and bought one new pair, bought a new vacuum cleaner, bought new tooth brushes and makeup, made everyone shower and put their clothes directly into the washer if they had been at our house, used booties to walk around the apartment if we weren't staying long, and on and on. We also vacuumed and used an air compressor on the few pieces of hard furniture we've brought over so far, alternating this with wiping it down with clorox wipes and vinegar. Even so, I'm afraid we've made mistakes or been sloppy and messed it up. We washed the clothes at our house on a sanitize cycle with detergent and vinegar, dried them on a sanitize setting, and put them right into clean plastic bags, but now I'm afraid that was a mistake. I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't take your clothes to a laundramat, because these are often moldy or being used by people from moldy buildings, so I don't really know what the right solution is.

Red, do you think lots of vacuuming and meticulous cleaning at the new place will mitigate any mistakes we've made in the move?

Also, can electronics such as tv, stereo, and boombox be salvaged? Piano?

I do not see any problem using a laundry mat. Find a clean one and take your clean clothes out of the washer and put it right into dryer. Then take them right out of the dryer and stuff directly into a plastic bag. You will have to deal with the wrinkles and creases later. You are not going to get mold from a washing machine that has had soapy water in it.

I think you have been meticulous and sure you will not get ever last spore. Electronics are OK just do not take them apart in the house if they need fixing. The most likely have some spores inside but that is small potatoes. I would never ever use an air compressor as you are asking for trouble pushing dust into the air. Hepa vacuum or wiping. Swiffers are better than anything. Otherwise good old soapy water. Vinegar does nothing to mold and the same for chlorine. I would expect the piano to be cleaned carefully if it is a Grand or open piano. I wonder about an upright. Is there opening in the back where spores can get into? If you had it tuned you would open that area and that might be a problem. Again HEPA vacuum is the way to go.

I have a couple more questions that hopefully some will have some thoughts/experiences on.

We live in hot and humid Florida and are wondering about how to deal with mold/potential mold in the garage. The garage opens up into the attic that I imagine has had a chance to build up mold just from being hot and humid so much. The garage is also not air conditioned. The garage also opens to the living space of the home, first via a small laundry room that also has our hot water heater in it. We could give the added time and expense to remediate the garage too, but would it be worth it? Let's assume it's contaminated, but, by "worth it", I mean, will it just be re-molded simply by being in a hot and humid climate and not having air conditioning? It is going to be impossible to not expose the house to the garage air sometimes--plumbers, electricians, someone delivering a new washing machine, etc. etc., it is going to happen, so I feel like I want the air good, but not sure how realistic it is... (Any thoughts/suggestions?)

Also, when doing mold remediating, I know it can be a deductible medical expense if doctor prescribed. How detailed a prescription have people been getting. "Remediate mold in home" written on a prescription pad? "Remediate mold per XXXX plan attached, written by XXXX dated XXXXXX?" What seems reasonable to get a doctor do write, given it is a significant process with many pieces, it seems?

I would make a prescription as detailed as possible for deduction. This is what I do for all of them. Would have dr. Write on prescription pad and mention exact area in home etc. Looking at past tax court rulings or finding someone who has been audited or finding an expert tax person to give you advice are the only other options that I can think of.