ACN Latitudes Forums

weird behavior -- symptom of PANDAS?

pr40

My dd9 had improved a lot on abx.. With a higher does, she is now about 90%. But, last two weeks, she is behaving weird. In place of what used to be rapidly changing symptoms, she is now either hyper and bouncy or has this strange expression on her face. When I try to talk to her, she hides from me in her closet or, when she faces me, she does with a smirk. She is not like that every day but she is like that few days in a row.

I am not sure what to think. Any ideas?

thanks in advance

For your daughter (I don't know her age) is the hiding in the closet and such below age-expected behaviors?

Age regression is often a reported symptom. It may be a mild up-tic and pass as her brain continues to "settle" and normalize--good luck.

I'd consider yeast. You upped her abx. So I'd make sure you also increased probiotics. For us, adding a daily ordorless garlic pill also helped immensely. We saw a week of increased silliness/impulsiveness/hyperness and age regression and then things settled. Or ask for a candida albicans titer blood test and perhaps diflucan or nystatin.

I'd consider yeast. You upped her abx. So I'd make sure you also increased probiotics. For us, adding a daily ordorless garlic pill also helped immensely. We saw a week of increased silliness/impulsiveness/hyperness and age regression and then things settled. Or ask for a candida albicans titer blood test and perhaps diflucan or nystatin.

I was thinking the same thing. Silliness is frequently associated with yeast.

My dd9 had improved a lot on abx.. With a higher does, she is now about 90%. But, last two weeks, she is behaving weird. In place of what used to be rapidly changing symptoms, she is now either hyper and bouncy or has this strange expression on her face. When I try to talk to her, she hides from me in her closet or, when she faces me, she does with a smirk. She is not like that every day but she is like that few days in a row.

I am not sure what to think. Any ideas?

thanks in advance

My dd 14 has this behavior when she is flaring. She has been on biaxin for three years so major symptoms have improved but age regression is always a sign of a flare. Once she is put on prednisone burst silliness/doll playing, ect..goes away immediately. it all goes away. It took me a long time to figure out this was a sign of a flare. Good idea to have yeast checked as well. I never thought of that and think Ill have my dd tested for that also.

I was thinking yeast as well.

We use a comprehensive stool analysis to check for yeast levels 'Metametrix or Dr. Data'. They actually grow sample and provide remedies to specifically treat. Plus you will get an analysis of good bacteria, digestive enzymes, inflammation, PH balances, any additional bad bacteria. For example my son is dealing with Geotrichum Klabahniii which is a yeast and is responsive to Grapefruit Seed Extract, Nystatin and Oregano in that order. When we started treating aggressively we noticed an increase in hyperactivity flairs, rashes, eczema and fungal outbreaks in the first month.

My dd similar. Dont know for your dd but sometimes the ocd thoughts make her act this way. And all thiz about but how does one check this??? No outward yeast signs so how do I explain/ask her pediatrician? Or what is the best and easiest supplement to give to fight yeast?

You can check for yeast using the stool tests SFMom mentions but if the doctor you work with doesn't have an account with these labs and you're restricted to just using blood tests from standard labs, then you can ask for a an antibody titer test for candida albicans - one of the more common forms of troublesome yeast.

We use 1000mg odorless garlic (make sure you buy odorless) at dinnertime. You can also use grapefruit seed extract or google other natural yeast treatments. You cannot rely on outward signs, in my experience.

I would also agree you can not rely on out word signs of yeast as we had none other than some periodic hyperness or AD/HD type symptoms in younger DD and dime size eczema patch on DS. They were on Nystatin so I thought we were covered. My kids have been on long term "multiple" antibiotics plus we were doing a ton of detox with them. Its turns out our kids also have heavy metals issue so the combo of antibiotics and pulling of heavy metals made it extremely difficult to get ahead of yeast even with regular dosage of Nystatin. We anticipate the yeast to be a continuing problem as we go through chelation and continued antibiotic treatment. Its one of those things that no matter how you are able to test, its important to monitor if you are on long term antibiotics. If it is unrelenting, like it was in our situation then I'd also be checking for heavy metals.

I would also agree you can not rely on out word signs of yeast as we had none other than some periodic hyperness or AD/HD type symptoms in younger DD and dime size eczema patch on DS. They were on Nystatin so I thought we were covered. My kids have been on long term "multiple" antibiotics plus we were doing a ton of detox with them. Its turns out our kids also have heavy metals issue so the combo of antibiotics and pulling of heavy metals made it extremely difficult to get ahead of yeast even with regular dosage of Nystatin. We anticipate the yeast to be a continuing problem as we go through chelation and continued antibiotic treatment. Its one of those things that no matter how you are able to test, its important to monitor if you are on long term antibiotics. If it is unrelenting, like it was in our situation then I'd also be checking for heavy metals.

SF Mom - What test would you recommend to test for heavy metals?

Dr. Data.

After discovering that the kids all had high lead levels we tested our home drinking water and we had high chlorine, lead was positive, pesticides showed some responsiveness. We order the test kit on-line for $24.00 Even though we were filtering with a Britta, it was not filtering out the heavy metals. We now have a system install that does specifically filter heavy metals. It was only $200.00 and installed at kitchen sink.