ACN Latitudes Forums

Zinc supplementation backfired

My son has white lines on fingernails and dry skin, chronic infections, yada yada yada. Sick kid and I had read good things about zinc so I started to supplement with DAN docs blessing and by day 4 anxiety increased, chewing of his shirt started, ice chips chewing... and overall saw a slip backwards.

Clearly zinc not a good thing. After doing some research I assume it has something to do with copper. not going to supplement anymore.

I have an appt with doc in a couple weeks but wanted to know what this forum thought about it. Is this indicative of a methylation issue?

I get so confused on the zinc/b6 but I do know there is clearly something to this I witnessed it.

My son has white lines on fingernails and dry skin, chronic infections, yada yada yada. Sick kid and I had read good things about zinc so I started to supplement with DAN docs blessing and by day 4 anxiety increased, chewing of his shirt started, ice chips chewing... and overall saw a slip backwards.

Clearly zinc not a good thing. After doing some research I assume it has something to do with copper. not going to supplement anymore.

what dose of zinc did you use? it could be that zinc is not good . . . or it could be that you used too a large dose and that was what wasn't good. zinc can chelate copper and what you saw could have been the release of copper into the bloodstream -- you would want to get rid of the copper - but a large dose into the blood could cause symptoms. the zinc could be working to balance the copper - but if too much at one time, could show copper overload symptoms.

i don't know that i've really heard of zinc having negative side effects other than that. but of course, there is always the exception. and i think pandas kids are good exceptions. my ds has a paradoxical reaction to GABA and he did show very negative effects to azith when he was very first treated for pandas.

when we started ds on zinc, i think we did something like 7 mg at a time or something. we worked up to his current dose of 50.

It was 15 mg. only new thing I introduced this week. interesting you mentioned GABA, my son had a panic attack when I tried to supplement GABA. I thought it was a fluke so I gave to him and my older son on a different occasion again thinking it would calm the anxiety and it did the opposite gave them both panic attack.

Yes possible herx with zinc it must be he is out of balance on copper zinc so I am going to talk to doc about diagnostic test to know what we are looking at.

He has had parasite problems and it is a full mooon. i never put much stock in that but I guess that could also be a possibility. So I started him back on flagyl tonight it always helps.

Thank you.