ACN Latitudes Forums

Abnormal EEG?

Do you have specifics on the abnormality. We have had abnormal EEG. DS12 takes Lamictal for it. I went down that road for many years before discovering PANDAS. Ours was spike and wave activity sleep activated in temporal lobes. He has dx of LKS from that, although, much of PANDAS fits with same time onset.

MyDS 9 has an abnormal Eeg .but MRI was ok.

It was abnormal since 5years old when we did Eeg for the first time. Reason of doing eeg was problems in speaking ,which lasted for two weeks and then vanished. I belive that was the first symptom of pamdas.Two years later he was diagnosed with pandas.

For the problems in Eeg gavr depakin chrono,which I never gave to my son.

First, the background shows a low amplitudes fast activity. Low enough they had troubled counting the frequency. Some semi-rhythmic delta waves in the frontal region.

All this supports her very poor processing speeds and that she has mild encephalopathy. Moving now to the next level of trying to determine causality or more likely, playing the process of elimination game. There is no evidence of seizures.

I think every child with PANDAS symptoms should have an EEG. My child's first EEG, about 2 months after PANDAS hit was normal as well. She has since had four abnormal ones. She was having absence seizures, and we had no idea until they did a 24 hour EEG and recorded over 25. We were with her the whole time and were certain she was not having seizures. We even took her to another neuro office because we were not convinced and did not want to start seizure meds.

Absence seizures are so subtle, we were missing them. Our child would stop mid-sentence just for a second. Or glance briefly up as if trying to collect thoughts. Those were seizures. The second neuro pointed out one that happened while at his office,

so we started to recognize them after that, though we still usually can't say for sure. We have noticed that the seizures seem to come and go with the PANDAS symptoms.

I would be interested to know what additional testing other kids with abnormal EEGs are having.