ACN Latitudes Forums

Ibuprofen - does this help with flares? Natural alternatives?

Megan

Hi,

I gave my son ibuprofen for a fever over the weekend and the next day he was so much better - his tourrettes was much less. I am wondering if this was just coincidence because I have read it can help. If it helps, how long does it last for you? Do you give it daily? If it does reduce inflammation in the brain, are there natural alternatives that can work? Has anyone looked into this?

Thanks so much.

Edited by Megan

Ibupprofen works wonders. In a flare, we dose it every 6 hours, 2-3 times daily. Then taper to once a day as things calm down, then stop when things are good again. Curcumin and tumeric are other options - Enhansa is a product used often as a natural alternative to ibuprofen. You can also help support the liver while taking ibuprofen by taking milk thistle and taking it with a small amount of food to help with any possible stomach upset.

Thank so much - I will look into that Enhansa product. Have you tried it or know of others who have? Can ibuprofen actually end a flare without using abx if the flare is caused by a virus? My son's tourrettes has gradually worsened over the past 3 months as he became sicker and sicker with what we think is mono from CMV. Wondering if I should try to keep him on the ibuprofen or if it will evenutally stop working if that is what helped us in the beginning.

My daughter has had virus flares for the past two years - I only now realize it must have been PANDAS or PANS. She would have good days between but now the good days don't seem to be happening much. She has good periods in the day but the tantrums happen almost every night. I wonder if ibuprogen or the enhansa might help her. Her stomach is sensitive to abx after having them for so long when we first treated lyme years aso.

Thanks.

No - I didn't mean ibuprofen helps end a flare. It helps reduce the inflammation and resulting behaviors. You need to eradicate the virus in order for the flare to truly end. When my DD had epstein barr last year, l-lysine helped kick its butt when other things didnt. You can google and find pubmed research on lysine and viruses (also works great for cold sores). Still, ibuprofen should continue to help with the inflammation while you treat the virus. (FWIW - some love Enhansa - for my son, it doesn't come close to being as effective as motrin).

To add to the great information already given:

A good standardized olive leaf extract, vitamin d, and probiotics fight infection and work on the typical pandas triggers. Experiment with different natural supplements known to fight infection. Natural stuff can take a little longer than pharmaceuticals, but if you child gets worse, go for the meds and switch to naturals after remission.

Edited by formedbrds