ACN Latitudes Forums

Information and Help For 9yrd with OCD

Tanya

Hello -- my son is 9 years old and has had the onset of obsessive thoughts. He has intrusive thoughts about harming himself/others, and is very emotional when these thoughts occur, crying and frightened, as it is against his nature to harm anything or anyone. He mainly has the obsessive component versus the compulsions and we would like to try natural methods of treatment. He also has a very hard time focusing and staying on task in school and even when we assign him tasks, but is a very, very bright child. I believe that this may be linked to the OCD as well?

I would like to try the Inositol and 5HTP, but am unsure what dosage to give of these medications for my 9yrd son who weighs approx. 100 pounds. Also, are there any side effects associated with these medications in children? I have found no reports of side effects, but many sites caution against use of 5HTP in children. Also, there is a history of long QT wave syndrome in my family. Are there any precautions for these two supplements with cardiac history?

I also found a link for a supplement that combines St. John's Wort with Passiflora -- has any one had any experience with this combo and effectiveness? Is this combo more effective than the inositol and 5HTP or could all of these be combined together? HELP!!! <_<

Thank you so much in advance, it is so greatly appreciated!!! Tanya :unsure: