ACN Latitudes Forums

Chemotherapy and TS

TS Mommy

Our son was diagnosed with Leukemia (high-risk ALL) just after he turned 2 years old. He went through 3-1/2 years of chemotherapy and is currently in remission. He's been off treatment for 1-1/2 years now. During his treatment, at about 4 years old, we noticed an eye blinking tic. Everybody said it was normal, but somehow after watching him closely, we knew something was wrong.

Now, at the age of 7 his symptoms have escalated into Tourette Syndrome. Currently, he has an extreme neck thrashing tic and a clenching of his hands with a very "surprised" expression on his face. He makes noises too, such as blowing, puckering his lips, coughs, and throat clearing. His tics will change after some time. But since Christmas he has been so severe it's interfering with daily things like changing his clothes.

I've read Sheila Roger's book: Natural Treatments for Tics & Tourette's. Owen is currently on a vitamins and homeopathy for tics, but we haven't seen any improvements. He is also seeing an allergist for food and environmental allergens. He's completed the food portion of the testing, which showed he has no allergies to food. We go this week for things like dust mites and pollens.

I'm wondering if there are other children out there that have had Leukemia and now Tourette Syndrome and if the chemotherapy has been linked. I'm also nervous that because my son has had so many toxic chemicals pumped into his little body that the Tourette's may not be helped. Sheila Roger's book is uplifting. I loved hearing the stories of so many kids helped by taking vitamins and changing their diets, but unfortunately, it's not working for our son.

We are also currently looking for a naturalpathic doctor in the New Jersey area who treats TS, but also is knowledgeable about chemotherapy. Can anyone help us?

Hi TS Mommy,

I know you must have gone through so much with the leukemia treatment, and now these serious tics are so difficult to deal with.

I'm sure many forum members are wishing the best for you and your family, and hoping you find the help you need.

I'm going to send you a PM so we can arrange to talk.

Please try not to despair. I'll put some feelers out for possible resources after we talk. Sheila

Hi TS Mommy

I just wanted to welcome you and say how I feel for all your precious child has been through! It's good you may be speaking directly with Sheila.

I would honestly wonder if the tics are a result of the chemo and or Leukemia onslaught on his system, rather than actual TS (but I am not a doctor so this is just my wondering)

When the immune system is disrupted, things can manifest. All this is stuff that Sheila knows a lot more about, so I do hope you will contact her, and also find a good naturopathic, preferably Integrative, doctor in your area.

hoping for your little one to get much better.

Hi TS Mommy,

I know you must have gone through so much with the leukemia treatment, and now these serious tics are so difficult to deal with.

I'm sure many forum members are wishing the best for you and your family, and hoping you find the help you need.

I'm going to send you a PM so we can arrange to talk.

Please try not to despair. I'll put some feelers out for possible resources after we talk. Sheila

Thank you, Sheila for speaking with me yesterday. It felt good to talk to someone who understands. I look forward to chatting again this week.

Edited by TS Mommy