ACN Latitudes Forums

Foods with Bacteria?

T_Anna

We started working with a therapist in November, when DS's OCD started to really flare up.

She had told us that DS must not eat anything with bacteria which included:

Yogurt

Honey

Sushi

Tap Water

Is anyone else here avoiding these things?

We have become disillusioned with her since she said the CBT wasn't working because DS was stubborn and a perfectionist. When asked if it could be that his titers were still high? Her answer was that his numbers were prob. going down. Three days later his blood results show that his titers were higher than in November!

DS begging for sushi and being that he is eating like a bird, I figured I'd ask what others here are doing.

Any input appreciated as always.

T.Anna

We avoid raw sushi, but DD11 loves the kind kind with cooked or tempura seafood - there are lots of different kinds out there. Making your own can be fun and you avoid possible cross-contamination.

We also avoid yogurt, but only because it contains casein, not because of the probiotic bacteria.

DD11 is on a low sugar diet, so she doesn't get to eat honey.

We avoid yogurt so as not to inadvertently give any strep strains. Honey as I understood it kills bacteria, my nanny who grew up on a farm told me they used to use it on cuts for healing. I know there is a bacterium in honey that can grow and thus should be avoided by children under one year (maybe a form of bottulism? not sure) but I never heard of the problem for older children.

Regarding perfectionism, this is part of OCD. My daughter is both a perfectionist and extremely stubborn and we have a therapist who has made great progress with her despite these and other numerous obstacles. It sounds like maybe it is not a good fit, if your son has these qualities it is the therapists job to overcome them and certainly not to blame the failure on something that may be part of the disease. We went through two therapists and one psychiatrist before finding the right fit.

We saw an integrative doctor who discussed a number of foods to avoid but none that you mention were on that list.

Doesn't most food . . . assuming it's not processed half to death . . . contain bacteria? :huh:

What is her reasoning?

I've heard about avoiding fermented foods before . . . was actually taken off them myself for a while because I was told they encouraged yeast growth, which I was attempting to reduce. So yogurt and sushi, I could get on that basis, maybe. But the others have me a bit confused. :wacko:

Reasons given to avoid certain foods:

Yogurt - bacteria

Honey - bacteria

Sushi - bacteria

Tap Water - parasite?

I'm beginning to get disillusioned with everything.

T.Anna

But what did she think was "bad" about the bacteria, necessarily? I mean, our guts are FULL of bacteria, most of which is beneficial. So the fact that a food or drink might contain "bacteria" isn't, in and of itself, justification for avoiding it, is it?!

Okay, the possibility that some yogurt might contain strep thermopolis, I get. If your kid has a strep issue . . . though even the PANDAS experts seem split on this particular issue . . . maybe it's best to avoid that. But cheese is FULL of the bacterium that actually contribute to it becoming cheese (including strep thermopolis), and she didn't mention that at all?!

Sorry, T.Anna. I wouldn't want you to get disillusioned with everything, but this particular doctor -- based on what you've shared thus far -- doesn't seem deserving of a whole lot of confidence, IMHO. Time to move on to another doctor who makes some sense and will more thoroughly explain their protocol?

Edited by MomWithOCDSon

I think this is trial and error. For us, milk avoidance turned out to be huge. Converted over to Greek Yogurt from regular yogurt----------- During that time, ticcing was huge. Eliminated Greek Yogurt and ticcing stopped immediately. As was cotton candy with blue coloring-----another biggie. Anytime we have big influx of sugar,(bday, party's etc...) is another time that some of the behavior stuff flares up.

I am curious how many are using DAN protocols for Pandas/Pans???? Any input? We have been doing "the kitchen sink" DAN protocol and are pretty happy with the results for the last 13 months.