ACN Latitudes Forums

Chlorella problems

My son has been on chlorella, 20/day for about 5 months. Recently the doctor upped the number of tablets to 45/day. My son has complained for several months of odd stomach pain that comes and goes. But when we upped the chlorella to 45/day he complained more of stomach pain and said he feels constipated. His OCD also worsened with the increase, which is what usually happens when he doesn't feel well. Today he was off the chlorella completely and feels much better and his OCD is much improved.

He feels the chlorella in general isn't good for him, even at the lower dose of 20/day. I could understand if it gave him have diarrhea, but why would it constipate him?

Chlorella is used as a detox agent because it binds to toxins. So taking a lot of it could bind you up and cause constipation, the same way activated charcoal can be binding. You need to drink ALOT of fluids when you use it. I know some here and on the lyme forum swear by chlorella but I personally didn't care for it. Aside from the cost, it's a lot of pills to add to an already large daily pill load. My other concern is that it's harvested primarily in the China Seas and around Japan - between pollution and radioactivity, I didn't feel compfortable that I could be sure I was getting a safe product. It felt odd to use a product to soak up toxins when I was worried that the product itself could contain contaminates. Maybe being paranoid, but wasn't taking chances.

If your son feels better off it and you were never happy with his response while on it, then IMO, listen to his body.

There are different strains of chlorella of which some are more difficult to digest. My son does 25 3xday. They are very small so he swallows a lot at once.

The brand we use has been ' muscled tested,' to make sure of its' purity and the company has purchased equipment (after the nuclear problems in Japan) just to check product purity. It is 'health Force' brand. This one is'chlorella pyrenoidosa.' The easier-to-digest type is'chlorella vulgaris' per our dr.

Edited by JuliaFaith

If he has lyme, he is herxing. Back off. I am an adult and can only handle about 10 at once. Good luck.

My son has been on chlorella, 20/day for about 5 months. Recently the doctor upped the number of tablets to 45/day. My son has complained for several months of odd stomach pain that comes and goes. But when we upped the chlorella to 45/day he complained more of stomach pain and said he feels constipated. His OCD also worsened with the increase, which is what usually happens when he doesn't feel well. Today he was off the chlorella completely and feels much better and his OCD is much improved.

He feels the chlorella in general isn't good for him, even at the lower dose of 20/day. I could understand if it gave him have diarrhea, but why would it constipate him?

If he has lyme, he is herxing. Back off. I am an adult and can only handle about 10 at once. Good luck.

Interesting that you should say that because that crossed my mind recently as well. My son went off the chlorella for a few days and initially did well but then started having more trouble with OCD again. My son suggested going back on the chlorella at the lower dose of 20 that he had been on (instead of 45), so we are slowly increasing him to that. I know he needs the detox because he is also on Lipo-health (Biopure, 1/2 scoop/day) for detox. as part of his "lyme cocktail" and he always does poorly on days he is not on the cocktail. So I have started just giving him the Lipo-health on the days he is not on the cocktail.

I will ask the doctor about the chlorella at our appointment tomorrow. Thank you!

It is also possible as JuliaFaith said that he isn't doing well on the type of chlorella we are using. It is called Chlorella Fella. It is chlorella pyrenoidosa and is suppose to be of high quality, but I have not had my son ART tested for it. My son's doctor really likes Biopure supplements and he suggests the Biopure pyrenoidosa, but it is very, very expensive. I am a little uncomfortable asking him to test another brand. But I have four in my family on chlorella and we just can't afford anything more expensive than the Chlorella Fella. My other three family members that are on the Chlorella Fella are doing well with it. One of my children that has mold illness (no lyme) is on 45/day with no problems. She is actually doing very, very well with the chlorella plus GAIA.

Sounds like you have one smart son! :)

Just another thought since you are on the 'lyme cocktail.' When my son was on artemisin in his 'cocktail' he really reacted at the beginning of treatment. I was always lowering the dosage because of it. A little while ago he was put on it again at full dosage and did not react much at all after more than 2 yrs. treatment. He is no longer on it.

Also, did I give you the name/brand of our chlorella already? It is still a good price (although it just went up $20 a bottle!) and has 1900 tabs for ~$75. If not, PM me. TAke care.