ACN Latitudes Forums

Clindamycin

Two of my children were prescribed a 10 day course of clindamycin with rifampin to be added in on last 4 days. They have been on it now for about 4.5 days and I have noticed an increase in blinking and extreme nastiness and opposition from my son. Could this be herxing, has anyone else experienced this with clindamycin? Or should I discontinue this antibiotic? Looking for suggestions on what to do.

Tia,

Tami

Two of my children were prescribed a 10 day course of clindamycin with rifampin to be added in on last 4 days. They have been on it now for about 4.5 days and I have noticed an increase in blinking and extreme nastiness and opposition from my son. Could this be herxing, has anyone else experienced this with clindamycin? Or should I discontinue this antibiotic? Looking for suggestions on what to do.

Tia,

Tami

We have not used clindamycin, sorry, but we often see an increase in symptoms, especially ticcing and emotional lability with increases or changes of abx. I think I would increase detoxing and hang in there for a few more days, as long as you are not seeing an allergic-type reaction (itchy hives).

Clindamycin is a good antibiotic for treating Babesia/lyme and Rifampin is fantastic for Bartonella. I would expect an increase in the symptoms like you describe especially if your kids have these infections. Our younger son also had periodic increase in nastiness/rages that lasted for about 5 weeks when starting rifampin. In absence of high fever we pushed through with rifampin for younger son. Older DS was put on Rifampin 1 1/2 years ago and we suspended treatment due to high fever herx response. This past summer we tried Rifampin again with older DS and he was fine, definite herx but no high fever. He has now been on Rifampin since July.

I recommend reading Dr. Schaller's 2009 Update to Babesia treatment to understand how Bartonella can suppress immune response and as a result how often Babesia testing is falsely negative.

My son was put on clindamycin back when he had a stubborn strep infection that didn't go away with a 10 day course of antibiotic and he was banging his head from it. That's when we then got pandas diagnosis in 2008. At that time clindamycin helped. He has been on so many antibiotics and eye blinking was never a big symptom of his. I am surprised to see it affecting his behavior this way. We too were on rifampin with Dr. Jones and I never saw him herx. This time Dr. T is treating and he isn't treating for Lyme co infections. It's quite possible there are co infections but never got a positive lab. He has strep, mycoplasma, Ebv, coxsakie A , strep is under control now. Don't know what to do anymore.