ACN Latitudes Forums

Saccharomyces Boulardii

Hello oh wise parents of Lattitudes,

My daughter has been having more frequent stomach aches. She's been on antibiotics for so long, its no wonder. We have had success all along taking Culturelle, but now its not enough. Our dr. suggested taking Saccaromyces Boulardii, but upon googling it, I see that antifungals, such as Lamisil and Diflucan at the least, reduce its efficacy.

Dd strugggles with vaginal yeast infections and going off an oral antifungal is not an option at this point. Is it pointless to take Saccharomyces Boulardii if you are on antifungals? Would it make a difference if she took one in the a.m. and one in the p.m.?

While I am here, what besides a reduced sugar diet can help naturally with yeast infections. She already takes Epicor, which is a supplement that prevents me from getting them to begin with.

Thank you,

Angela

momaine- Dr. J has dd continuing Florastor while on Nystatin. I separate them. My daughter is only taking one dose of Nystatin right now (increased nausea/headaches when I add in the 2nd dose) so its been easy to do that. She takes the Florastor in the am and Nystatin at dinnertime.

Hope you are doing better these days!

momaine- Dr. J has dd continuing Florastor while on Nystatin. I separate them. My daughter is only taking one dose of Nystatin right now (increased nausea/headaches when I add in the 2nd dose) so its been easy to do that. She takes the Florastor in the am and Nystatin at dinnertime.

Hope you are doing better these days!

Hi Philamom,

We are hanging in there. It's definitely a long recovery from Lyme but even on the bad days things are not like they used to be. You do get used to a new normal though and any back sliding seems to be unacceptable to both of us. Lately, dd is struggling with vaginal yeast infections and stomach issues. We're trying Florastor but I wondered if it was a waste while on multiple antifungals. Though Dr. J is the one who suggested it and he knows she's on antifungals. (I always wonder if they over look stuff though.) OK we will go with it. Maybe it will still help even if its at a reduced rate.

How are you guys doing?

Edited by momaine

I still found it helpful, even when I took fluconazole and nystatin. The same argument could be made to not bother with probiotics when someone is taking abx, since the abx is going to kill the probiotics, just wait until the abx is done and then do it. People have died in hospitals based on hospital MD's using that logic. It's kind of a defeatest/perfectionist attitude that could leave one functioning incredibly poorly (or worse) in the meantime. I think these things are important to take during these times.

I still found it helpful, even when I took fluconazole and nystatin. The same argument could be made to not bother with probiotics when someone is taking abx, since the abx is going to kill the probiotics, just wait until the abx is done and then do it. People have died in hospitals based on hospital MD's using that logic. It's kind of a defeatest/perfectionist attitude that could leave one functioning incredibly poorly (or worse) in the meantime. I think these things are important to take during these times.

Michael,

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are absolutely right. Thank you!

Angela

Just fyi - my DS gets agitated and hyper and foggy on Sacc B. No idea why but we've done multiple trials on it. So we use Truflora and Theralac, which are just regular probioitcs

For natural anti-yeast, we all take one odorless garlic gelcap daily - had an initial flare of silliness/impulsivity for a week and have been good for 10 months now. Grapefruit seed extract also helps, tho we've not had to use it.

Couple of thoughts since we are dealing with high yeast levels in our household.

Has everyone in family been checked for yeast? I never thought of yeast as contagious but it can be passed back and forth. Perhaps think about putting everyone in family on garlic pills. Any kind of skin condition especially eczema can indicate high yeast. Additionally, it turns out the regular dose nystatin 'sometimes' is not enough to treat ongoing yeast/fungus. Our kids take nystatin 1/2 tsp (500,000 un) for 65 pounds x 4 daily. I am just starting compounded nystatin that is a much higher dose. Also think about checking Copper/Zinc ratios along with heavy metals. If Copper levels are high, Zinc is typically low and makes for a perfect environment for yeast proliferate. High Copper and low Zinc does not always indicate KPU. Other heavy metal toxicity issues will also drive yeast proliferation.

Older DS: High lead, high mercury, KPU positive at one point, yeast issues. Zinc and Copper ratios are fine.

Younger DS: High Copper, Low Zinc, KPU negative, high lead, high mercury, yeast issues.

Younger DD: High Copper, Low Zinc, Low B's, no digestive enzymes (probably from heavy metals), KPU negative, high lead, high mercury, yeast issues.

We have seen a baseline adjustment for everyone in our family since treating for yeast aggressively. We will be starting chelation in 4 weeks and expect yeast issues to flair again once heavy metals start dumping.

Hope our experience gives you at least a couple of things to think about or investigate.

EDIT: Younger DD also suffered from stomach pains. The enzymes prior to breakfast, lunch and dinner and treating yeast very aggressively have really helped. A good comprehensive stool analysis would give you perspective on yeast levels, enzymes, good bacteria, bad intestinal bacteria, inflammation, parasites, etc.

Edited by SF Mom