ACN Latitudes Forums

tonsillectomy shows staph aureus

this is for a technically non-PANDAS kid (well, no official diagnosis yet) T&A for sleep apnea a few weeks ago.

tonsils were cultured at my request and came back pos for staph aureus. any comments or info? Is this typical?

It was resistant to clindamycin, erythromycin and penicillin. We have PANDAS doc consult in a few weeks, though symptoms have been very minor (or even non-existent) lately(even before T&A). She was given amoxicillin post-op.

My ds 11 who is a pandas kids also cultured out staph aureus. My pediatrician decided to treat with bactrim but the ent and most of my internet searches said that staph aureus was considered normal oral flora and advised against treating this in the future. My son did go on to have T & A with great results.

My ds 11 who is a pandas kids also cultured out staph aureus. My pediatrician decided to treat with bactrim but the ent and most of my internet searches said that staph aureus was considered normal oral flora and advised against treating this in the future. My son did go on to have T & A with great results.

hi Blake'smom-- can you tell us more on the difference post T+A for your son. Was there an obvious strep connection and if he had OCD/ticcing issues "resolve" with the T+A? other symptoms?

thanks--

My Ds 11 main pandas sxymptom was ticcing and slight anxiety. He had a definite strep connection as his strep titers were both elevated. In april 2012 he had a T & A and 3 days after his surgery his symptoms were gone. I am not sure if it was the procedure alone that helped as he did have iv antibiotics and iv steroids during the surgery also. His ENT doctor who did the surgery thinks that his adenoids were the problem and were harboring strep in biofilms. He has remained tic free except for 2 episodes when he was diagnosed with an ear infection. He is currently on zithromax 250 three times a week for strep prevention.