ACN Latitudes Forums

Steroid Question

DD4 doesn't swallow pills yet so I crushed her Prednisone (2 pills) and put it in her cereal and she immediately detected it and wouldn't eat it. The Ped said the liquid is horrible and thought we'd have better luck with the pills, but not so much. How do you get your kids to take the steroid if they can't swallow the pill????

It depends on what type of liquid. The concentrated prednisone can't be flavored, but if you read the instructions, you can mix it with a liquid. The only thing that my daughter would take it with was soda. I used sprite or a caffeine free one. Mixing it with apple juice was nasty.

Prednisolone, is usually not concentrated and you can add flavorings. My sons have had it a few times for allergy reasons, and they like it. Pedia-pred can also be flavored. This last time, my daughter took the pills, and hated that she could taste them before swallowing.

I would suggest asking about getting a switch to a flavored liquid at the pharmacy.

DS6 has taken the flavored liquid and he inspects everything prior to putting it in his mouth! He says it tastes "gross" but I bribe him with a yummy cookie or a pice of chocolate or some other sweet treat. It's easier for him knowing that it gets less and less every few days an we make a big deal about the "steps" down to less each time we get there. I also bribe him with TV or anything that I can that he likes a lot - sometimes you have to bend your scruples to get the job done!

We had our kids start swallowing little bits of over cooked ziti. 1/4 of a cooked one... Told them not to chew. They learn how easy it is. then move up to 1/3 of a cooked ziti pasta. Eventually, we could put the supplement in the pasta - has to be cold or the supplement falls apart. After one week of doing this, they wanted to try the supplements without the pasta.

Prednisone is a hard one for kids (well anyone) as it has a horrible taste! Good luck.

DS6 has taken the flavored liquid and he inspects everything prior to putting it in his mouth! He says it tastes "gross" but I bribe him with a yummy cookie or a pice of chocolate or some other sweet treat. It's easier for him knowing that it gets less and less every few days an we make a big deal about the "steps" down to less each time we get there. I also bribe him with TV or anything that I can that he likes a lot - sometimes you have to bend your scruples to get the job done!

So the dose is supposed to decrease every day???

She was prescribed 15 mg for 5 days.