ACN Latitudes Forums

If Motrin doesn't help, does that mean it isn't PANDAS?

I've of course seen many a post on using Motrin to decrease pandas flares and issues. If it doesn't seem to do anything, does that mean it isn't really PANDAS? And honestly, I can't remember if we ever tried Motrin specifically, my husband keeps buying children's Advil! I'm not sure if there would be a difference. I always see everyone specifically mention Motrin, not ibuprofen. Thank you!

Motrin and Advil are one and the same. I do not believe ibuprofen is the end all, be all for PANDAS dx. It helps us to take the edge off. It does not stop ocd or raging. I have never had it to make any effect on tics. I actually think I buy the chewable children's junior Advil. I'd have to go look at the bottle. I do not buy generic ibuprofen. I'm not taking any chances.

Hi - both of my kids have been helped by ibuprofen.

At times it has made their symptoms almost disappear, while at other times, it may just take the edge off. It has helped tics, OCD/anxiety, hyperness, aggressiveness etc.

However, there have been times for both children where it hasn't seemed to help at all, although, this isn't the norm for us.

Sometimes we get relief with it from the 1st dose and at other times we need to do a few days at full dosing before we see it helping.

I don't think a lack of response to ibuprofen would indicate that it's not PANDAS. Perhaps, the inbuprofen just isn't a big enough gun wrt the inflammation.

Hi - both of my kids have been helped by ibuprofen.

At times it has made their symptoms almost disappear, while at other times, it may just take the edge off. It has helped tics, OCD/anxiety, hyperness, aggressiveness etc.

However, there have been times for both children where it hasn't seemed to help at all, although, this isn't the norm for us.

Sometimes we get relief with it from the 1st dose and at other times we need to do a few days at full dosing before we see it helping.

I don't think a lack of response to ibuprofen would indicate that it's not PANDAS. Perhaps, the inbuprofen just isn't a big enough gun wrt the inflammation.

The only thing that helps us is getting rid of the infection. Ibuprofin and Predisone help a little, but it's not a big difference and just temporary.

Landamom,

I just googled last night before bed...are Motrin and Advil one in the same? So funny to wake and see your post. We have been doing Advil 3xs daily for a week now. I saw a subtle change, but nothing drastic. We are waiting for Dr. T to send us labs for another blood draw. Contemplating Steroids at this time. I feel your pain. This am I feel like I am pumping this poor child full of an Azith/Augmentin combo as well as (now Motrin...I feared the Advil wasn't cutting it)...and nothing is working. I'm so over this puzzle. Some days I want to throw the towel in ad quit everything!

I don't know what the answer is. I did switch from Advil to Motrin and I don't buy generic. Good luck to you!

KK

Out of desperation, I tried Motrin/Advil (same thing) for my DS a long time ago, but it didn't do anything for his PANDAS/PANS symptoms.

IMHO, Ibuprofen or NSAIDS in general are not a good idea for these kids, as they contribute to leaky gut. But I do understand that for those who see a big improvement, it can be helpful as a short-term fix. I hope no one is relying on this as a long-term treatment, as it has the potential to do more harm than good.

Today has been a pretty good day for my dd, and coincidentally we gave her Advil during the night as her leg was hurting. Not sure if that has helped today. As I posted on another thread, we have also cut out probiotics as my gut (no pun intended) was telling me they were contributing to the tics.