ACN Latitudes Forums

Facts about PANDAS

pr40

so, to conclude, age of parents does not seem to matter. history of auto-immune problems, on the other hand, does matter. we have psoriasis, allergies, celiac, and arthritis on one side. On the other side, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, and depression, on the other.

In my son's case I had history of allergies and asthma and received allergen immunotherapy for 5 years as a child; also his father had rheumatic fever last spring. (Dr. L helped us realize, as he was initially misdiagnosed) It's rare in adults, but he was a gulf war veteran and we believe some toxin he was exposed to (vaccines; biological agent) triggered an autoimmune dysfunction -- many of the soldiers deployed have similar issues.

My husband and I were 30 when I had my second child, who is diagnosed with PANDAS.

We both have seasonal hay fever. So do all of our children. I believe that my other 3 children have had one or two PANDAS symptoms in the past, but they never seemed to get worse.

My husband also has an anxiety/panic disorder, and tics very mildly (which we only realized were tics after learning about PANDAS), has tendencies for having obsessive thoughts and resulting compulsions (but for the most part keeps them in check). Many members of his family are similar. He also has a sister with Juvenile Diabetes. He and a few others in his family also have vitiligo. His father was recently diagnosed with pernicious anemia. Mitral valve regurgitation/prolapse is also common in his family.

I believe I have undiagnosed ADD. My sister has diagnosed ADD. My maternal uncle and grandmother both had Rheumatic fever. My Sister's son was in the hospital this summer with myocarditis (he did have elevated strep titers). His sister also had Post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis and has had some intense fears and school refusal as a child (she leans OCDish). My Maternal Aunt has had a couple of episodes of viral infections that caused a real change in her personality. Adult onset diabetes is rampant in my family - My Mother and Brother (definitely-poor lifestyle choices contribute to this). Another Maternal aunt has had colitis that nearly killed her - she was told it was autoimmune. My cousin also has Rheumatic Arthritis. One of my maternal great Aunts has had a few "nervous breakdowns" and needed to be admitted to a psych hospital a couple of times.

Whew...it's been a while since I put up family history. I know I've reported all this to Dr. Cunningham (with the exception of the mycarditis and pernicious anemia--which I think is significant, but just haven't had the time to wrap my brain around it.)

So, our family history falls right in line with what Dr. Swedo reported - OCD on one side and RF on the other.

Edited by Kayanne

I will add, on my husband's side of the family there is a familial dystonia, looks similar to MS physically. 50% chance that it is passed down, he (thankfully) shows no sign of it. On my side of the family my mother had rheumatoid arthritis.