ACN Latitudes Forums

Facts about PANDAS

pr40

This question is along the lines of trying to establish facts about PANDAS. Genetic predisposition is already assumed and I think it would be good to have more basic information about other issues, including the age of parents at birth of their PANDAS child.

In our case, FATHER was 40 (dd) and 44 (ds), MOTHER was 36 (dd) and 40 (ds).

In our house, Mom was 27 when DS15 was born; Dad was 30.

I think this topic came up a few months back and the most common thing people reported was autoimmune disease among family members.

In our case, I have had autoimmune symptoms for 1/2 of my life and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 3 years ago.

Mom was 29, Dad 30 for us.

No history of any OCD, tourettes, etc.. in either side of the family. Dad had a bunch of ear infections as a kid, Mom had tonsilitis and tonsils removed when she was young. Mom's side of family did have some history of autoimmune diseases. (Chron's, rhum. arthritis, one nephew with Aspergers). Thus far neither of DS's two sisters (3 & 15) have any PANS symptoms.

Mom 34, Dad 37. No documented auto-immune issues on either side except Mom was, similar to DS, hyper-immune as a child -- never caught anything, but had some admitted behavioral issues (which she sincerely hopes she has, for the most part, outgrown! :P ). Sound familiar?

Mom and dad both 29 when ds 12 was born, both parents have slight but manageable OCD. Never formally been diagnosed with anything though. Ds was born full term and no congenital problems that we know of. He did catch a highly resistant strain of strep at 14 months old. The pedi tried three different abx over a month and a shot of penicillin. He later tested negative but it took over a month. I think each subsequent strep infection had mild pandas symptoms, but stopped with abx. and was therefore overlooked until the biggun hit this past march.

Edited by Missmom

Both parents were 35 when DD7 was born. History on both sides of the family of autoimmune (chron's, thyroid, celiacs). I, and all my siblings and parents, as well as my husband's siblings had major ENT issues (tonsils, adenoids, ear tubes from a very young age).