ACN Latitudes Forums

Does anyone do Florastor regularly?

Hello, my dd8 is on two abx daily - Augmentin and Zithromax. I am convinced that probiotics are making her tics worse, even thought they are strep-free, so we have stopped them the past few days. I don't like the idea of her being on so much abx without something beneficial... Has anyone tried using Florastor/Sachs B on a regular basis for gut health? Are there any other alternatives to lab made probiotics that would be helpful (fermented foods, etc?) that you've seen results with? Thanks in advance!

DS did florastor for 17 months with no probiotics. He did not have any problems. He was mostly on treatment augmentin during that time. He'd still be on it but we discovered he has a yeast sensitivity to brewers and bakers yeast and I took him off along with going on a yeast free diet.

We've been using sach b. (we use Jarrow brand . . . less pricey than Florastor)for about two years with no ill effects. We dosed it twice daily when DS was on abx, and only once daily now. I will say, though, that DS does not suffer from tics generally (we've only seen limited tics when his PANDAS is in full flare), so I can't really speak to how tics might respond to sach b. on a regular basis.

I had switched from Probiotic Eleven, Natures Sunshine to Pearls. While on Pearls we saw an increase in tics. Took him off and tics have gone away for the most part.

Most of the "pearls" I've seen are predominantly or entirely acidolpholus, I think. Were yours? That's the same predominant culture in yogurt, kefir, etc., and abx kill it relatively easily. So, if it's spaced well out from abx dosage, it probably lends some support, but otherwise, it won't contribute much to gut flora during abx use.

The good news is, though, if I'm recalling correctly that pearls = acidolpholus, then that's one probiotic strain you know to stay away from because of the tics.

Thank you for everyone's response! I'm sure that probiotics are not solely responsible for her tics... They have been the main symptom since the beginning, but they see to get worse from taking certain things. IDK. I feel Ike I am guessing at most of this.

Nicklemama - do you think the Sachs b.contributed to the yeast sensitivity? I hope he is doing well now!

Landamom- I really don't know if it contributed. I have wondered about it. His biomed dr thinks its caused by gut dysbiosis and inflammation and that when these things are healed the sensitivity will go away. We don't really know if the florastor is a problem for his sensitivity. It's a saccromyces, as is brewers and bakers yeast so we took him off it.

I recently added Florastor to my son's regimen and am seeing some worsening of behaviors the past few days...raging; hyperactivity & silliness, but no tics/OCD are back. Could he be experiencing die-off symptoms or is it more likely an intolerance? Any input/advice is appreciated. He's been on Augmentin twice daily with probiotics (VSL#3) mid-day, and before that he was on Azithromycin.

Chrissy, I know that "silliness" tends to be a symptom associated with yeast overgrowth. But I'm not sure if giving a beneficial yeast could contribute to that... Sachs b of course is a beneficial yeast. I would give it a few days. I have to say, my dd is off probiotics now for over a week. Only doing the Florastor and so far her tics have definitely diminished. Maybe it's just a coincidence... Who really knows. But I'll take it!

Hi Landamom,

I was always confused about the whole probiotic thing; what, how much, when.....

I took both of my pandas girls (who are doing really well) to see Dr. Nancy O'Hara as we were ready to get off the IVIG my older girl needed for recovery with Dr. B and I wanted someone to oversee that transition from recovery to maintenance. O'Hara is absolutely wonderful, btw. We've paid a lot of money for a lot of experts and she is expensive, but IMO worth it; sharp, snappy, organized, thorough. She told me to give my girls all their pre & probiotics at night. Florastor or Sach B is a prebiotic. Nancy is correct that Sach B is the same as Florastor, but MUCH less expensive. You need to give a lot of it, everyday, so we too go with the Jarrow brand of Sach B rather than Florastor. Dr. O'Hara recommended 3 Sach B and a probiotic right before bed. My dd13, the more severe pandas girl with more yeast issues, she recommended Klaire Factor 6 (1 capsule with the sach B before bed); my dd9 less symptomatic takes 3 Sach B and 1 Klaire complete. This has been very helpful; stabilizing I would say.

Interestingly, I just got a ton of lab work back from her office. Most of it looked very good...except the strep titers for dd13: ASO-400 and DNAse B-593. The good news is that there was no uptick in symptoms which shocked me. Her last IVIG was in Aug. and in the past there was a correlation between high titers and my girls' symptoms....well I'm going to take that lack spike in symptoms despite rise in titers as a good sign. Even dd13's C3D levels, which had always been elevated were well WNL- YAY! DD9's C3D's were elevated, but symptoms are in check, so...on we march.

Anyway, I would definitely go the Sach B route and then determine what probiotic you want to complement that. One more point; pre and probiotics are important aside from yeast, but with my girls the systematic yeast (not vaginal) did not become an issue until puberty. Hasn't been an issue for dd9, but when her older sister turned 11it became problematic. Just another little anecdote.

Take care-Jill

Jag10- so glad to hear things are going well with your girls!! Did your daughter have any problems with the S. Thermopolis in the Klaire complete? We supplement with Klaire Ther-biotic Detoxification Support daily.

landamom- we have been using Florastor for 4-5 years. I may have to try the Jarrow brand - these probiotics sure add up (scared to change things up though). We use other probiotics as well. At times, I had to switch around to see what agreed with my daughter. There were some probiotics she reacted to that I would switch after a week if she still showed an uptick in symptoms. VSL#3 made my daughter manic. Tried it a couple of times a few years back, same reaction every time. If you think it's causing a reaction, maybe try another brand or a different type of probiotic. I do feel probiotics are extremely important while on antibiotics though.