ACN Latitudes Forums

Caffeine consumption?

Ok, so last night didn't go exceptionally well. DS got stuck with the OCD in the bathroom all night. Does anyone have any experience with whether caffeine makes OCD worse?

DS (14.5) loves Earl Gray tea and had a cup at 7pm and 10:30pm. I know it probably doesn't help, but has anyone cut out caffeine and seen improvement?

TIA,

T.Anna

Sorry, no direct experience, but it does sort of fit a pattern, doesn't it? I mean, if caffeine revs you up, and too much of it can make some people edgy with or without PANDAS/PANS/OCD, it stands to reason it could impact your DS.

My DH isn't clinically dxed with OCD, but he definitely has some characteristics, along with some propensity toward depression. We've found we really have to limit his caffeine intake for his best health. So, his pop is caffeine-free, his coffee is 1/2 and 1/2, and his tea, when he has it, is non-caffeine, as well.

I think I'd just switch out the tea bags in the pantry for decaffeinated in the same flavors. I don't think your DS will taste the difference at all, and it might help diminish the "edge," especially at night-time.

Good luck!

Ok, so last night didn't go exceptionally well. DS got stuck with the OCD in the bathroom all night. Does anyone have any experience with whether caffeine makes OCD worse?

DS (14.5) loves Earl Gray tea and had a cup at 7pm and 10:30pm. I know it probably doesn't help, but has anyone cut out caffeine and seen improvement?

TIA,

T.Anna

Caffeine is BAD news for our PANDAS daughter, it might as well be laced with Myco-P or Strep. :) We have cut it entirely and it makes a big difference. I think they make a decaf Earl Grey, you might try that.

Just found a site that says that taking Luvox with caffeine can heighten the effect of the caffeine (not what we needed :blink:).

From the site

http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Luvox

"Mixing caffeine and Luvox (fluvoxamine) can be intensely unpleasant. Your one cup of joe will suddenly become like five cups, and the effects will last six times as long.

The results indicate that intake of caffeine during fluvoxamine treatment may lead to caffeine intoxication. —A fluvoxamine-caffeine interaction study.

This effect was confirmed by pharmacokinetic geek lab tests

And it doesn’t matter if you’re a normal or poor metabolizer of CYP1A2, or if you’re taking just 10mg of fluvoxamine..."

Well, at least this is confirmed, just cost us another day of school though :(

T.Anna

DS - 14.5 dx 11/17/12