ACN Latitudes Forums

Questions about USF Rothman

I understand that USF has an excellent intensive OCD program. I am wondering if they treat other disabling anxiety issues as well, and with the same high success rate. Dd12 has some kind of intense fear related to learning--performance anxiety maybe. She has missed a year of school, and at times, has hidden from the homebound teacher. She is currently melting down over instruction because of the anxiety it triggers. Just the mere mention of schooling causes a visible tightening of her body. I see no improvement on abx. Not a single med has been able to touch the anxiety-- tried them all! I am desperate-- she needs an education, and I see no end in sight.

Do you think someone there can help us? Do they accept insurance?

I understand that USF has an excellent intensive OCD program. I am wondering if they treat other disabling anxiety issues as well, and with the same high success rate. Dd12 has some kind of intense fear related to learning--performance anxiety maybe. She has missed a year of school, and at times, has hidden from the homebound teacher. She is currently melting down over instruction because of the anxiety it triggers. Just the mere mention of schooling causes a visible tightening of her body. I see no improvement on abx. Not a single med has been able to touch the anxiety-- tried them all! I am desperate-- she needs an education, and I see no end in sight.

Do you think someone there can help us? Do they accept insurance?

We are headed there in February. They work with all types of anxiety I believe, not just OCD. They accept most insurance, although you may have a co-pay too. The head of the department, Dr. Eric Storch, is very friendly and if you want to call and have a conversation with him, he will give you specific information as to whether they can help your daughter, and also how they go about it. There is a great website as well that you should read through.

They book a few months out for those using insurance, much quicker if you don't care about that and want to pay out of pocket.

Hope this helps!

Laura

We just returned from 3 weeks there. We mainly treated severe ocd (and the anxiety it is causing) but as stated above they do treat anxiety. I liked the program and all the therapists are highly qualified. They took my Aetna insurance. Each visit was the cost of a specialty copay, which for me was $35. The value is in the intensity, the required homework and the fact that being away from home leaves less distraction and more time to focus on facing fears and doing related excercises to overcome them. I am considering returning with my non pandas child simply to address anxiety. They explained you do not need a specific diagnosis. They are able to do that there. However I know with my pandas child he already had diagnosis of ocd, anxiety, panic attacks, etc as do most. We were with Dr. Marni Jacobs but i also like Dr. Rahman and Dr. Jordan (only three I met). My son was resistant but they did not let up on him or make it easy which was good. He eventually came around. With that said I just kissed him goodnight and noticed contamination surfacing again so we need to keep up with our support doctor here at home and our exposure excercises daily. It was a tremendous help and I would return at any time if needed.

Michelle

Excellent program. Just got home a few weeks ago after 3 weeks there with DS15 who has suffered with OCD and anxiety for most of his life. They use the same exposure model for OCD and specific anxieties. I learned a few things myself and just might get over my fear of flying using their techniques :)

I HIGHLY recommend the program and specifically a certain doc, of which I will PM you the name.

We have used their program with two of our children. It is AWESOME! You can do it for anxiety as well as OCD. If you child is that disabled you absolutely should do it. No question. Everyone there is so nice. Never met anyone who didn't make us feel welcome. Call right away. We had to pay out of pocket and it was still well worth it. It is an intense program but this is an intense issue. Your daughter's life can be different. CBT really works. Don't mean to sound like a commercial. JMHO.

Dedee

Thank you all so much for the information! I am definitely going to pursue this. I am currently playing phone tag with them. Dd wants to know one thing: How long is each daily session, and are sessions a Monday-Friday? I'd like to know if we will have to make a trip there prior to the beginning of treatment. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Storch was kind enough to give us the name and number of a wonderful therapist that was trained and worked with him there for many years. We too had some issues that were specific to the home environment. The CBT/ERP made a world of difference. It is crucial for my dd. They can give your child the tools needed to get back into life. Highly recommend.