ACN Latitudes Forums

is 2 mg augmentin too much for a ds 12

Yes, our DS took 2,000 mg. of Augmentin XR daily when he was 12, but I would expect weight to have more to do with the body's ability to metabolize that dose than age. My son was about 125 lbs. at the time, which technically put him into the "adult dose" range for meds ("adult," as I understand it in medical terms, is 90 pounds and over).

We broke the 2,000 mg. into two doses, though: 1,000 mg. in each of the morning and evening.

• 2 months later...

this is to adition to my oher post here - we have a flare, so we raised up augmentin up to 2 mg daily, for the last 4 days.

Is that too much?

My dd took 1000mg 2x daily (so 2000mg/day) of Augmentin XR for 1 mo. (took a break from Azith 250mg/day Azith to see if Augmentin would work better). This was in the 5th grade. She was about 70-80 pounds at that point.

ALso, Saving Sammy took 1000mg 2x daily of XR...he was 11 at the time he started, took it for a few years.

Edited by EAMom

I'm concerned 2000 mg Augmentin XR 2x a day is too much. My son is 175 pounds. I have him on probiotic 3 x day too. We just started today.

I think this dose if fine, since your sone is adult sized.

The adult dose of Augmentin XR is 2000mg 2x daily (so 4000mg/day).

AUGMENTIN XR should be taken at the start of a meal to enhance the absorption of amoxicillin and to minimize the potential for gastrointestinal intolerance. Absorption of the amoxicillin component is decreased when AUGMENTIN XR is taken on an empty stomach (see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY).

The recommended dose of AUGMENTIN XR is 4,000 mg/250 mg daily according to the following table:

http://www.drugs.com/dosage/augmentin-xr.html

Edited by EAMom