ACN Latitudes Forums

Vit D

Vitamin D always increases DS11's tics, every time we try.

The vitamin d3 helps mt girl with confusion and sleep but it does make her a bit nasty, but so does everything we try. Hopefully she will even out.. I am adding magnesium for constipation so perhaps magnesium might take the edge off.

The vitamin d3 helps mt girl with confusion and sleep but it does make her a bit nasty, but so does everything we try. Hopefully she will even out.. I am adding magnesium for constipation so perhaps magnesium might take the edge off.

Anything that improves sleep helps the "oppositional" behaviors at our house: melatonin, tonsillectomy, vitamin D, and magnesium. For reall neat user-friendly lectures on the link between vitamin D, magnesium, and sleep, check out Dr. Stasha Gominak's videos on YouTube. She's actually pretty funny for a neurologist.

-John

I was a casual acquaintance with a Vit D guru and he said to make sure you take Vit D3 with K2 for absorption. It seemed to make a difference because when I supplementing 5000 IU of just Vit D, my girls levels were still in the 20's in the winter. Swithing to 4000 IU Vit D3/K2, both girls Vit D levels are in mid-40's now. Doc does want them at 50.

They sell Vit D3/K2 at Vitamin Shoppe

Edited by JAG10

Thank you John for sharing those lecures re vit D. Very interesting and it makes sense to me. I think everyone should watch them. She has a website too (drstashaGominack.com) In fact, I was low D and since I have been taking D3 my sleep has been so much better. My son's sleep cycle is so messed up. Now I have another reason to start the vit D3. I am just going to add it gradually. I am passing the info on to some of my friends that are complaining of other issues like headache and GI problems.

Jag10 -- going to look intot he K2 for absorption as well. Thanks.

Jag10-Did you just stop the D3 and switch over to the D3/K2 abruptly or did you do it gradually? I am so nervous changing things on my girl. She is so unstable and sensitive to any small change. Do you think I should I should giving the D3 that I am giving and just add the K2 into the mix instead????

Also...is the D3 with K2, the Vitamin Shoppe brand, in case I go with them?

Edited by Lilly

In addition to making vitamin K2, beneficial gut bacteria can make a huge difference in the brain. A new study just published says it well...

"Recent scientific studies shed light upon the intricate relationships between the intestinal microbiota and the gut–brain axis. Gut microbes may communicate with the gut–brain axis via production of neuroactive and neuroendocrine molecules such as serotonin, GABA, histamine, noradrenaline and adrenaline [Forsythe et al. 2009; Bienenstock et al. 2010].

A metabolomic study using germ-free mice demonstrated 2.8-fold higher amounts of serum serotonin in conventional mice compared with the level in germ-free mice, although direct evidence did not demonstrate production of serotonin by enteric bacteria [Wikoff et al. 2009].

However, other intestinal microbes such as Lactobacilli can convert glutamate into GABA [Higuchi et al. 1997; Li and Cao, 2010; Su et al. 2011], which functions as an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system and may play a role in pain inhibition. Administration of L. rhamnosus JB-1 to mice resulted in altered patterns of GABA receptors in the brain, a reduction in stress-induced corticosterone and diminished anxiety- and depression-related behavior, all of which were absent in Lactobacillus-treated vagotomized animals [bravo et al. 2011]. "

SOURCE:

Effects of probiotics on gut microbiota: mechanisms of intestinal immunomodulation and neuromodulation

Peera Hemarajata and James Versalovic

Department of Molecular Virology and Microbiology and Department of Pathology and Immunology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA;

Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2013 January; 6(1): 39–51.

• 2 weeks later...