ACN Latitudes Forums

i know i have OCD

well....where to start? I have known there was always something wrong with me and i actually didnt find out about OCD until a few months ago. I'm 15 now and have been expierancing the OCD symtons since i was at least 8 or 9. I've been reading up on it and i guess basically u practice a ritual because of bad thoughts? (correct me if im wrong) But for me, i feel as though i don't do the usual thing i do i think that maybe my best friend might not want to be friends with me or that something bad may happen such as a family member getting hurt or friend. Things I expierance are like the moment i wake up i always go to check the tempurture in the hallway and when i dont or i just try to ignore i just get a weird feeling something is gunna happen. and then another one is that if i dont ?cringe? my eyes or squezze them its just again, another feeling that someone hates me or so. i heard that medications such as anti-depressants might work. well do they?

Hi and welcome

honestly, altho SSRI meds (antidepressants) are prescribed for OCD, many people find the side effects verybothersome

there are natural supplements that can help OCD by naturally boosting serotonin levels. Inositol (a B vitamin) is a very safe and effective way to help

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is by far the most beneficial non medical therapy for OCD

here are some useful websites about OCD and CBT

Obsessive Compulsive Foundation

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Info at NIMH

Dr Grohol's OCD Screening Quiz at PsychCentral

National Association of Cognitive Behavioral Therapists

What is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Latitudes Articles & Info on OCD

Hey,

I'm a 17 year old girl and I have OCD. Like you, I've had symptoms since I was about 7, but just this year it became so bad and i became so depressed that I was hospitalized for days.

I have been taking Prozac for 3-4 weeks and it has really helped me. at first i was very hesitant to take it, but it has helped me to start feeling normal again.

i just want you to know that you don't have to feel alone. i felt really scared b/c i thought i might be crazy, but reading about OCD has helped me to understand i'm not crazy.

i struggle with weird thoughts like you described...worrying that something bad will happen if I don't do something that is totally unconnected with it. Like, if i talk to a certain person or go to a certain place, maybe that means I will do poorly in my next race (I am a competitive distance runner). I also am a compulsive worrier and worry about religious things to an obsessive degree, like worrying if something was a "sin" or not. also at an earlier period in my life i was obsessed with checking things, like the faucets to make sure they were off, or making sure my pets were locked up in their cage safely, or whatever.

Talk to someone about anti-depressants. I can't guarantee they will work but I have felt a little better since taking them.

• 4 months later...
Hi and welcome

honestly, altho SSRI meds (antidepressants) are prescribed for OCD, many people find the side effects verybothersome

there are natural supplements that can help OCD by naturally boosting serotonin levels. Inositol (a B vitamin) is a very safe and effective way to help

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is by far the most beneficial non medical therapy for OCD

here are some useful websites about OCD and CBT

Obsessive Compulsive Foundation

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Info at NIMH

Dr Grohol's OCD Screening Quiz at PsychCentral

National Association of Cognitive Behavioral Therapists

What is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Latitudes Articles & Info on OCD

Hello

I'm not sure I'm doing this right. But you seem to be really well educated on this counting problem.

I am embarressed to tell many people, because when I do, they look at me as though I have

told them I'm a ghost.

I had a grandson who was "austic". Could my behavior have had anything to do with his autism?

I count letters on signs. outline faces or shapes, count letters on words running on the bottom of a TV screen.

This keeps me from paying attention to what others are saying.

I'm not sure what Cog. Beh. Therapy is? Can you tell me more?