ACN Latitudes Forums

Books for Teens?

T_Anna

Does anyone have any book recommendations for teens with PANDAS/PANS or about OCD or CBT?

I would love to have something that DS, 14.5 years old, can read. So far I've only found adult literature about living with OCD or childish books.

Thanks in advance,

T.Anna

I don't know of any books personally, but my DD 19 spends an inordinate amount of time watching Monk DVDs.

Amazon shows this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Ray-Hope-Teenagers-Compulsive/dp/0578070324/ref=pd_sim_b_5

Warning: This child's OCD had sexual overtones so you need to weigh that in you DS's case.

There is also "Talking Back to OCD," which is billed as a handbook for children and teens.

"Saving Sammy" by Beth Malone is not intended for teens, but I think it would be perfectly suitable fare.

Some other choices are reviewed here: http://www.freewebs.com/annekeller/ocd.htm

(These include: Kissing Doorknobs, Multiple Choice, and Not as Crazy as I Seem)

Edited by ko's mom

There's also a book written by Elizabeth McInvale (for a period of time, the IOCDF's spokesperson) that's autobiographical in nature; it's called "Kissing Doornobs." My DS read some of it, though I don't think he ever finished it. It might be more relatable to a female teenage audience than a teenage boy, but it seemed to set off some bells for my DS.

I just remembered another one . . . not strictly for teens by any means . . . but my son really enjoyed it.

The autobiography by Howie Mandel ("Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me") is riveting. It mixes some heartache with lots of humor, but it definitely gave my DS someone he could relate to. Not a "how-to," but a human story about what it's like to discover you have OCD, and then how you deal with it out in the world and in your private life. Great read!