ACN Latitudes Forums

Soy and menstruation

We took dairy out of our diets about a year ago. Right around a year ago my dd12 got her first period in November, 2nd period in April, and has not had another one since. I've been concerned but not overly so until now. I'm wondering if soy has been a problem for her as we increased her intake when we took dairy out of her diet. Btw, no consideration that she could be pregnant, not sure she's even held a boys hand.

Does anyone have insight or experience as to why her period is delayed?

Thanks.

We took dairy out of our diets about a year ago. Right around a year ago my dd12 got her first period in November, 2nd period in April, and has not had another one since. I've been concerned but not overly so until now. I'm wondering if soy has been a problem for her as we increased her intake when we took dairy out of her diet. Btw, no consideration that she could be pregnant, not sure she's even held a boys hand.

Does anyone have insight or experience as to why her period is delayed?

Thanks.

Soy affects hormones. Soy can also be the cause of allergies. I don't drink milk, but I do use rice milk and almond milk. I've also tried coconut milk (I don't care for it, but I know people who love it.) There are lots of options besides soy.

DD15 as a strict vegetarian has been a heavy consumer of soy since she was three. Menarche for her was at 11, her next period 5 months later, then another about 4-5 months after that with about a two years of unpredictable cycles until the last year in which her periods are like clockwork for 6 days 28 days apart.

familyof5 -- some time after the birth of my second son, diagnosed pandas, i was eating quite a bit of soy. . . and i think i began having some health issues -- increase in migraines with aura, hormonal imbalances -- likely was around the time i stopped nursing him -- not too sure of timing, thyroid trouble. i think things things did mellow out some when i cut back on soy. i am not sure of when my Tick-borne illness began. i think most likely had low level as a kid and it came into troublesome after pregnancy. i think there is likely some sort of issue that soy can make exisiting health challenges - like lyme- more troublesome in sensitive individuals or in people who are experiencing a downturn in health.

soy is so very prevalent in our food supply even if you are not a "soy eater". once you add soy to your diet, especially as a sub for dairy or meat, you increase your intake immensely. and there are conflicting thoughts about all the soy isolates -- that are actually very processed foods from the original soy bean. i'm not saying it's definitely the problem, just that you should be aware of the issues and thoughts of soy. if you haven't already, you can easily find info by googling 'the dark side of soy'. good luck.