ACN Latitudes Forums

home strep tests

ajcire

My pediatrician told me off the record that he would never ever suggest this to anyone but in my case he (stressing off the record) thought I might want to look into home strep tests. He is willing to test them whenever I am concerned as he has seen first hand that I am usually pretty on about when they have strep... but they don't get sore throats, already had tonsils out and it's not practical for me to keep doing this with multiple kids. Can anyone tell me how difficult they are to use and where they ordered them from?

Thanks... lol, I like the other price better but not sure I will find them anywhere for the 28.00. Of course since it cost me $25.00 each time I go in to the dr. I guess it's a good deal. 3 kids.. 2 with strep, 1 didn't have it but I still had her checked just cost me $75.00 not including the antibiotics... and on top of it I have concerns that it might not be gone. Sigh. Guess the price on amazon isn't so bad afterall.

Thanks! I am mostly afraid I will waste them not doing them right... not sure how well I will get that swab...gain.. and my littlest got his first positive test this month too 2/3 of my kids don't have tonsils and not sure if that will make it harder or not?

I swab my daughter 2 or 3 times just to make sure i got a good swab. There is a you-tube video on how to swab. Circular motion to make sure you get the whole area. I have been using these for a year and a half and they work great. My daughter doesn't get sore throats either, so if she is acting off or in a bad mood for no apparent reason, I always swab just to make sure! They are cheap enough to waste. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. I don't ever wanna live through another exacerbation again!!!!!

Edited by Haileymadison

Thanks. Yeah it's a real problem when they don't get fever or sore throats to clue me in more. My son had a headache with this last bout and was just "off". I knew enough to ask the dr to check for strep despite his lack of strep symptoms. Sigh. I have no idea how long he might have had it for though.... He was starting to have sleep issues though several days before. I guess that in hindsight that's when I should have had him tested for it.

Maybe your pediatrician can show you how to swab "off the record". That's what I did. I still take my kids in for a swab usually - simply because they don't always cooperate with me on etting a good swab, but they've been invaluable for the rest of the family! We got them on Amazon as well.

That's a great idea to ask my ped next time I am there to show me. I think he will be willing to.. I just think my kids are extremely cooperative for him but won't be for me.

Ok, silly question... when your order them it comes with everything you need right? it's not just the strips and then I have to order the stuff to test it separate or anything? Can you link me directly to what you got on amazon?