ACN Latitudes Forums

I need your help. What do you suggest i do?

This is what she is on. She is tolerating meds/supps. and doing a bit better but still not sleeping. She is "stuck" staring at a movie over and over. Brain does not turn off. When prozac was in this mix, sleep was much better but she was too mean on prozac. Can you tell me what you would do next to help sleep? Upping melatonin does not help. Also tried lyrica, seroquel, trazadone, clonodine.

10am - 12.5mg. Lamictal - 1 Bactrim -2000 units Vit. D

8pm - 1 Bactrim, and 1 Doryx

1 New Chapter Probiotic Cleanse

1/2 culturelle

1 Melatonin

She seems to sleep through the night on benadryl. I cannot fully vouch for the safety of giving benadryl everyday, but I have looked it up briefly on the internet and it seems pretty benign--it's an old antihistamine. I do know parents who give it to their kids every night during allergy season. Sometimes kids just need a kick start on resetting their inner clocks so maybe a week or so on benadryl would do the trick.

You might also consider melatonin . . . there are even time-release forms of it that can help ensure a good night's sleep. I would start with a low dose (1 mg.) and see if that is sufficient. If she still needs help, you can continue to take it up. My DS15, 155 lbs., takes 3 mg. nightly and it works like a charm. Give 30-60 minutes before "lights out."

she is on 1mg. melatonin. tried all different doses. doesn't work for her. her intrusive thoughts are too severe. like i mentioned the only thing that use to help was prozac about she is too mean on the stuff. there is no way i can put her on that again. not sure if i should give inositol again. someone also mentioned something called NAC too. i have to look into it. thanks for suggestion.

she is on 1mg. melatonin. tried all different doses. doesn't work for her. her intrusive thoughts are too severe. like i mentioned the only thing that use to help was prozac about she is too mean on the stuff. there is no way i can put her on that again. not sure if i should give inositol again. someone also mentioned something called NAC too. i have to look into it. thanks for suggestion.

Well, if melatonin doesn't work and Prozac isn't helpful, but it's intrusive thoughts that are preventing her from falling asleep, I think you might have a couple of other options. You might try a different SSRI other than Prozac, though that usually takes a while to have a positive impact (4 to 6 weeks), and you would need to start at a very low dose given our kids' atypically strong reactions to SSRIs, in general.

The other idea would be to follow ko's mom's lead regarding an antihistamine, since histamine in excess in the brain and gut can feed anxiety, also. I know several kids here are taking a prescription antihistamine, Vistaril. Meanwhile, others of us have some success with over-the-counter H1 blockers, like Pepcid, or antihistamines, like Benedryl. Those might be worth a try as they tend to have a more immediate impact.

Good luck!

If she still has sleep issues and racing thoughts after a few months of antibiotics to treat Lyme/Bart. --- is that a bad sign??? Is it way too early too make a judgement?

Remind me, how old is your DD?

From what I've read here, Lyme treatment can take quite a while, and may require several tweaks and/or combinations of abx, so no, I don't think if, after a few months, you're still fighting symptoms, it means it's a bad sign. My DS's trigger was not Lyme; it was strep. But nevertheless, he was on abx for two years before we saw him reach and maintain health. And even now, we continue to supplements and some low-dose meds. I think his advanced age at diagnosis (12) played a role, also, as he'd been contending with PANDAS/PANs for years, incorrectly diagnosed and unsuccessfully treated.

I would stay the course and continue to reach out to your docs. Keep a journal, let them know what seems to work and what doesn't. Unfortunately, even the "experts" are still learning about this illness along with us parents, and the good ones appreciate the feedback.