ACN Latitudes Forums

Ivig or pex

mar

Curious about treatments of Ivig or pex and blood type . Both of my children are b- and I know these treatments or I assume that they deal with blood . This might sound silly but am wondering if anyone was rh negative? Trying to see if it made a difference. I know this blood type is rare so wonder about the affects of these treatments and if it Affects blood type. Is their a greater risk or any info would be great.

Mar

There is an increased chance of a certain side effect from IVIG with non-O blood types.

This is autoimmune hemolytic anemia. It is really, really rare (my daughter was the only case they had seen of in many years!) It can be serious- and was, but only temporarily. Essentially, her RBC's hemolyzed and she was very symptomatically anemia for many weeks. It required very close monitoring and eventually, the hemolytic process halted and she recovered.

You can look up Kawasaki Disease, HD IVIG and autoimmune hemolytic anemia to research more.

IVIG is pooled from thousands of donors and along with the good antibodies we are all wanting~ you are going to get some anti-A and anti-B antibodies.

edited to add: my daughter is A-

Edited by PowPow