ACN Latitudes Forums

Florastor .... How fast does it help?

My dd had been having pretty bad diarrhea for several days. As she has been on two different abx for the past four months, I have been concerned about c diff or some other gut issue. I decided to start her on Florastor Sachs. B and within a few days her diarrhea has stopped and its gone back to normal, if not a little harder. Could this actually be from the Florastor helping things? Or am I nuts :)

Edited by landamom

My dd had been having pretty bad diarrhea for several days. As she has been on two different abx for the past four months, I have been concerned about c diff or some other gut issue. I decided to start her on Florastor Sachs. B and within a few days her diarrhea has stopped and its gone back to normal, if not a little harder. Could this actually be from the Florastor helping things? Or am I nuts :)

My dd has been battling C Diff for months. If you suspect it, get a culture. It isn't something to mess with. We did see fast improvement in symptoms with Florastor...but you need to continue it.

Just FYI:

I looked up the ingredients in Florastor and did some further research. If your kids are taking anything to suppress their immune system, FLorastor may not be a good idea for them. I was considering trying it until I read the following. Because my son is on Cellcept and immunosuppressant and prednisone, it is not recommended.

Weakened immune system: There is some concern that critically ill people, people who have a weakened immune system, and people who are taking medicines that alter the immune system might have an increased risk for developing a yeast infection that spreads to the bloodstream and the rest of the body (fungemia) if they take Saccharomyces boulardii. Although Saccharomyces generally doesn’t cause disease, there have been numerous cases of fungemia following its use, primarily in people with a weakened immune system.