ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS now possible ADHD

DS 8 was Dxd with PANDAS last year. Went thru IVIG and have had our ups and downs. Mostly ups though.

Today DS teacher sent email saying DS is not paying attention in class, is having trouble remembering tasks and instructions, and is really falling behind.

Older DS 10 is ADHD. I'm wondering if DS 8 is showing signs of ADHD and if it's common among PANDAS kids?

DS 8 is on proh Rx for PANDAS. I just didn't think ADHD would follow. I'm wondering if this is because of his PANDAS dx or something completely separate???

Please let me know if anyone has gone through these issues within 1 yr of IVIG and PANDAS dxd.

Hope this makes sense! Thank you!

ADHD symptoms are common during PANS exacerbations, and may persist even after the exacerbation ends. If you son's ADHD symptoms were not there after his exacerbation and are suddenly starting or are suddenly getting worse, then you should probably look for an infection of some type. Once a child has PANS he/she is at risk of having an exacerbation with any illness - not just strep. Our kids have been known to react with a wide variety of viruses, sinus infections, walking pneumonia - even allergies.

In addition to possible flare from exposure (which should be checked out), yeast can also cause ADHD problems. Has your son been on abx? For kiddos taking daily abx, it doesn't take much to throw gut flora out of balance. For a long time, people on this forum would tell me the ADHD problems I was describing sounded like yeast and I would dismiss it.....but they were right and I was wrong! A good anti-fungal (which definitely made things worse before better) in addition to a strong prebiotic and probiotic regimen made all the difference in the world!

Good luck!

After one strep infection my DS went completely hyper about a month later (long time ago--he only got usual 10 day amoxicillin). It was completely exhausting, even though I was pretty used to his almost nonstop tics. While I have mentally blocked out most of what happened, I recall desperately trying to get him to do homework while we was jumping on and off his desk, alternating with jumping up and down and on and off on his bed. He also got a huge craving for sugar--previously sweets had never been his thing. One night he raced through the house opening absolutely every cupboard door one after another no matter how high in search of candy. Luckily this lasted only a month. I honestly don't know how parents survive this kind of extreme hyperactivity that goes on for months. Good luck.

In addition to possible flare from exposure (which should be checked out), yeast can also cause ADHD problems. Has your son been on abx? For kiddos taking daily abx, it doesn't take much to throw gut flora out of balance. For a long time, people on this forum would tell me the ADHD problems I was describing sounded like yeast and I would dismiss it.....but they were right and I was wrong! A good anti-fungal (which definitely made things worse before better) in addition to a strong prebiotic and probiotic regimen made all the difference in the world!

Good luck!

We've been on three different antifungals, and probiotic (Florastor)- what are you taking for a prebiotic? We are not doing very well in getting rid of the silly, yeasty behavior- as well as the unfocused, ADHD type behavior. I'm seriously considering starting GPAS diet int first week in January.....really tired of all the special diet stuff and would like to heal our DS and his gut once and for all.

Good luck!

We just gave our daughter 3 doses of Diflucan (150mg) every other day. I don't really think she has any evident yeast issues, but her pediatrician felt it was just better to prescribe it than actually using a scope to check for yeast.

It's really just to follow up on the years of anitbiotics...which we also stopped last week. However, we have not done more than tell her to take a few more of her chewable probiotics.

So, would you mind sharing your prebiotic and probiotic regimen? I'd like to hear what you did. I think she has a bit of ADD going on right now, but I couldn't tell you if it was from yeast or not...I strongly believe that ADD is in my family.

I took the girls to see Dr. N O'Hara in CT. She recommended taking 3 caps of Sach B as well as Klaire Complete for my younger girl and Klaire Factor 6 for my dd13 with the bigger yeast issues. This is at night, before bed with nothing else but zinc acetate. The Sach B is a prebiotic and the Klaire is the probiotic. Dd13 (today is her bday;AHHHH I'm mom to a teenager!!!!) is also on an anti fungal ketoconazole which she takes after school. In the morning, she takes Zith 250mg, milk thistle 175mg, and IgG 2000.

We are really hoping the zinc and the anti-fungal will help with acne. She did that Wood's lamp test and lit up with yeast, all over her back and belly. She was a little foggy and silly for about a week, but okay now. The "die-off" symptoms can last 7-14 days.

Younger dd9 did not have significant yeast issues, but increasing the Sach B and Klaire has improved her focus and ability to work independently. Dr. O is doing more metabolic testing and such to see if they need anything else.

Hope this helps someone. Dr. O'Hara is wonderful and she really compliments the care that is outside Dr B's main expertise, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the girls to see Dr. N O'Hara in CT. She recommended taking 3 caps of Sach B as well as Klaire Complete for my younger girl and Klaire Factor 6 for my dd13 with the bigger yeast issues. This is at night, before bed with nothing else but zinc acetate. The Sach B is a prebiotic and the Klaire is the probiotic. Dd13 (today is her bday;AHHHH I'm mom to a teenager!!!!) is also on an anti fungal ketoconazole which she takes after school. In the morning, she takes Zith 250mg, milk thistle 175mg, and IgG 2000.

We are really hoping the zinc and the anti-fungal will help with acne. She did that Wood's lamp test and lit up with yeast, all over her back and belly. She was a little foggy and silly for about a week, but okay now. The "die-off" symptoms can last 7-14 days.

Younger dd9 did not have significant yeast issues, but increasing the Sach B and Klaire has improved her focus and ability to work independently. Dr. O is doing more metabolic testing and such to see if they need anything else.

Hope this helps someone. Dr. O'Hara is wonderful and she really compliments the care that is outside Dr B's main expertise, IMO.

JAG10- was wondering how things are going since the appt? Is Klaire Factor 6 a probiotic? I know Klaire Complete is. Thx. Hope your daughter enjoyed her first birthday as a teenager!