ACN Latitudes Forums

abx ruining stomach

danddd

dd11 was on biaxin (pandas and lyme), she had diarrhea for a month before telling me. Then we fought for another month over probiotics, she refused them. when we saw pandas doc we switched to azith and he told her to take probiotics. so, she is taking zith, and probiotics and she still has diarrhea every day. it has been @ 3 mo. i am not sure what to do. over the years we have tried many probiotics, she literally will only take the culturelle capsule opened and mixed with juice. has anyone had any luck with natural antibiotics, would it be enough to prevent strep and help with lyme?

To add to the trouble she has been going downhill, and past couple days have been so bad. we havent had days like this in a loooong time. maybe she needs ivig agian? she did so well after 6 of them, untill recently was even going to school everyday (with accomodations). it was great.

any ideas?

thanks

dan

Try sacchromyces boulardii, also known as "sach b" and/or "s. boulardii." It is a beneficial yeast probiotic that both crowds out bad yeast (like candida) and also helps prevent diarrhea. The other benefit is that it can be dosed concurrent with abx, if necessary. Florastor is a major brand available at your pharmacy counter, but you can get other forms less expensively at places like the Vitamin Shoppe and/or Whole Foods. We've been using a Jarrow brand for years, and it works very well. The extra benefit of the Jarrow brand over Florastor, too, is that it is in a gelcap, so you could open it and stir it into apple sauce, yogurt or juice if your DD won't just swallow the capsule.

We are using olive leaf as a natural antimicrobial and have been since we took DS off antibiotics almost a year ago now. As best we can tell, it is effective as a prophylactic measure, but if your DD is struggling again, she may have a fresh infection, in which case prescription abx are likely better for contending with that.

Hang in there!

thanks to both of you

i think i used jarrow myself before, i will check it out.

do you see a holistic dr. or just give the olive leaf extract yourself?

is the quest cdiff test different than the regular culture (you know get a smear three different days and send them in)?

thanks to both of you

is the quest cdiff test different than the regular culture (you know get a smear three different days and send them in)?

No, we just decided to try the olive leaf independently, and since oleuropein is the "active ingredient" in terms of anti-microbial action, we try to purchase the product with the highest commercially available oleuropein ratio, too, usually in the range of 18% to 22%. We dose twice daily, just like we used to the abx.

thanks to both of you

I've always just used one sample (in a cup with green lid). But it would make sense to test three different samples, since its not always present in the entire stool. I've also done the metrametix and great plains lab stool tests, both show levels of clostridia - but they are not covered by insurance.

A friend of mine had severe diarrhea for some time. Her doctor told her no way it could be c-diff. I told her to get tested anyway. It came back negative. I then told her to demand to be tested again. It was then positive. She was in so much pain until treated. She went months until I told her to get tested. Come on - its just a stool sample, what is with some of the doctors these days. Now she has diverculitis (sp?).

Because my dd had c-diff in the past and is on abx, I run a stool sample every 3 months - more frequent if diarrhea is present. She has on/off funky stools. Probably related to absorption issues.

More likely your child doesn't have it. I just wanted to throw it out there as soemthing to check, especially with chronic diarrhea.

Our approach uses only foods, probiotics and some simple remedies at pharmaceutical strength.

GAPS diet guides through diarrhea- restores the gut etc.

We did need to bride/take the focus off the changes by giving a special gift after 1 month or 6 weeks. Small encouragements go a long way.

Vit c(vit c foundaiton for non gmo/corn source) will manage just about any infection. Add a bit a sodium bicarbonate to buffer.

GAPS diet is developed by docs(sidney haas/SCD, natasha campbell mcbride) but is the kitchen sink/grandmother level- all stuff at home that heals and strengthens everyone. Really returning to simple foods, prepared in very healthy way.