ACN Latitudes Forums

mb 12 -- good news

pr40

Our ds 4 and dd 8 are on abx. 4 days ago, we started them also on mb 12, 1000mcg once a day. The effect was like a switch was turned off. Suddenly, they stopped and became nice, easy going, kind kids. We could not believe it. I still cannot.

Now, we are afraid that this effect is not going to last. Did you see this with your kids? what happened?

Our ds 4 and dd 8 are on abx. 4 days ago, we started them also on mb 12, 1000mcg once a day. The effect was like a switch was turned off. Suddenly, they stopped and became nice, easy going, kind kids. We could not believe it. I still cannot.

Now, we are afraid that this effect is not going to last. Did you see this with your kids? what happened?

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is mb 12?

Can you tell us how B12 is supposed to help?

I know it is not water soluble, unlike other vitamins, and remains in the body 3-5 years which makes deficiency rare. It is in most meats, so unless you are vegetarian, you should be getting enough in your diet. I'd like to hear more about how/why this helps???

I don't understand the mechanism. There is much on this forum related to MTHFR genetic mutation. there are few good lectures on Youtube that explain the basic process of methylation in which MB 12 takes part. MB 12 had remarkable results with some autistic kids.

my understanding is that you can be deficient even with a meat diet.

Edited by pr40

I don't know if the methyl B-12 is behind your light switch or not. But I saw the same "miracle" when my DS began taking a zinc/B6 supplement for a deficiency known as pyroluria (aka KPU). So I do know that if you happen upon a deficiency, you can see amazing response when you start to treat it. So I think it's entirely possible.

MethylB12 supposedly has a self-limiting absorption rate of 1.5-1.6 mcg per dose (per wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12) investigations into the intestinal absorption of B12 point out that the upper limit per single dose, under normal conditions, is about 1.5 µg: "Studies in normal persons indicated that about 1.5 µg is assimilated when a single dose varying from 5 to 50 µg is administered by mouth. In a similar study Swendseid et al. stated that the average maximum absorption was 1.6 µg

It's a water soluable vitamin that does may be stored for long periods of time in the liver. But there are several health or genetic issues that interfere with absorption and deficiencies are not uncommon. Pernicious anemia, Crohn's, antacids and H2 blockers, genetic mutations, cholestyramine and certain bacterial overgrowths in the gut can all lead to a deficiency.

Tami is right in that B-12 does regulate certain antibodies. It activates TH1 suppressor T cells, which down-regulate the production of IgE antibodies. So it's more involved with regulating allergic response than an infection-fighting response per se. But B-12 is needed by every cell in our body, so in a broad sense, it is essential to the immune system for fighting infection.

The Wiki article is worth reading in its entirety. If you feel its helping your kids, then you might be on to something. Keep us all posted!

I have not seen dramatic results. DS is taking methyl B12 injections 3x weekly. His social skills are much better. We started the B12 injections back in Mar. He caught pneumonia about a month ago and the PANDAS really kicked in. We just got back from Chicago and IVIG # 2 last nite. DS has MTHFR mutations. He is/was low in B12, B6, folic acid, among other things.

Of interest, DD15 having her second exacerbation ever is a strict vegetarian. At the time of her first outbreak, the only attribute that was out of the normal range was B12 for which she actually tested high. This is because we do supplements. Her twin brother, BTW is not PANDAS and also a vegetarian.

PR40, so happy this worked for you! Keep us posted, please!