ACN Latitudes Forums

USF Rothman starting Monday 12-3

We are starting the USF Rothman program this Monday (with Dr. Rahman). I'm wondering from those of you who attended exactly how much work this is for the child?

I am willing to take on any amount but ds10 hates doing exposures outside of time spent with therapist.

What is expected of the child time wise and work wise?

Does therapist guide them through their avoidance if they're not doing the homework? Did you find you received enough erp education to assist child upon return home if they start to slip? That's one of my main interests here.

Also how often did you continue therapy at home to support the gain in progress?

We are in FL right now for the program. Only on day 3. Haven't learned enough to answer your questions, but I will keep you posted. I will PM you as the week progresses. What I can tell you is that my son really likes the doc and he has never responded to any other therapy, but seems motivated to do his homework. They are no-nonsense at USF, for sure.

One of my questions for the doc this week is will there be support for the child once we return home (i.e. can we do a phone consult). We traveled a long way to get here, so it will not be possible to schedule an appt. for a "tune-up," now and then.

Edited by mdmom

We went to the Rothman Center last year around holidays. It was an amazing amount of healing and beating back of OCD in a few weeks and I will be forever grateful for their expertise and how they helped my daughter and entire family. I know it is a huge commitment for your entire family but it will be worth it. The homework does pick up after a few days (and over the weeks), but you and your child will have more confidence as the days/weeks progress. It takes a few days/week to see the momentum. We did work with a therapsit when we returned (1x per week for a few weeks and then 2x per month). It was good to have a 3rd party hold DD accountable for homework and provide structure for continued OCD healing. They do have a "tough love approach" at Rothman Center to beating back the OCD that was very, very successful for my daughter. Our local therapist coordinated with Rothman Center once we got home. We worked with the same therpist you have been assigned at the Rothman Center! Good luck!

We loved Dr. Rahman....but, our mistake was that we did not have a good therapist to continue when we returned.....we tried to continue on our own and I became very knowledgeable as to what needs to be done...but, having the parent be the sole person to motivate for exposures was not good (my daughter is afraid of throwing up so getting her to watch throw up videos (and me being the mom to have her do it) just didn't work as well as if we would have had a good therapist at home set up maybe even for an every-other-week type of appt. to encourage practice/exposures.

We might consider going back for a refresher if needed...it was helpful, but when my daughter was exposed to strep again everything was lost....a steroid burst luckily brought her back and she is doing even better (FOR NOW...knock on wood).

You'll learn a lot there....I wished I lived in Florida and could always go to Dr. Rahman....just thinking about him I laugh at all of the exposures he has been through himself with our ocd kids!

I don't know what kind of magic they work at USF, but my son is so motivated to do the hard work to get rid of his OCD that my husband and I are in disbelief!

I am thrilled, to say the least. Mind you, he is not in a PANS exacerbation at the moment, but I know he is learning tools to deal with his OCD when/if it worsens again.