ACN Latitudes Forums

Dental Cavities & PANDAS ?

I'm hoping someone might have some medical answers to this. I'm waiting back to hear from a dentist but am jumping the gun.

Some months ago I noticed that while flossing my 6 1/2 year old daughter's teeth every night, the tooth she has a crown on would leave some black residue or even a tiny black spec on the floss.

I thought it was strange so 2 months later (about 6 weeks ago) I asked her dentist. He said it sounded like it's just food. I said it's black every time. He said that it's probably just dried blood. It is definitely not dried blood.

I have been paranoid that her PANDAS symptoms may be caused by some type of metal leaking from the crown.

But after digging in deeper I started to come across the possibility of a cavity developing underneath the crown. Then found that "tooth decay" can indeed be black and that it's possible to leak out from the crown.

What I found next kind of made my stomach drop, that "Dental Caries" or cavities/tooth decay is "an infection, bacterial in origin."

and...

The bacteria most responsible for dental cavities are:

Streptococcus Mutans

Streptococcus Sobrinus

Candida Albicans

Lactobacilli

Now I know those forms of strep are in everyone's mouth (from what I've read) but COULD it be possible that this "black" tooth decay is leaking out and causing my daughter's:

Vocal Tics (non stop throat clearing, grunting)

Motor Tics (Eye blinking, rolling)

Rage

Major Mood Swings

I appreciate any thoughts or advice in this matter.

I have started to keep the floss from each night and taped it to a paper inside of a plastic sheet. You can clearly see blood on some next to the black stuff and they are completely unique. This is not blood I am dealing with.

Thank you!!

Losing Teeth and dental cleanings are a big PANS/PANDAS trigger for both my kids. Yes strep lives on teeth and does cause severe symptoms especially in my two. I increase antibiotic when they are getting in new teeth and there has been an eruption in the gum line. Flossing and seeing blood will give the bacteria a way into the bloodstream. Strep lives in biofilms on teeth and when the gum is compromised the symptoms can ramp up fast.

Some things that help my kids is chewing Spry Xylitol Gum it kills strep, rinsing with Spry Xylitol or other xylitol rinse. Increasing antibiotics and probiotics.

Avoid flossing till it bleeds only light flossing or skip it for awhile. Maybe your dentist can take an xray to ensure no dental cavity. Strep is the bacteria for dental cavity.

My 10 year old was in complete remission for nearly 8 months when his 12 yr molar erupted (early) he was set back for about two weeks we got it under control by adding augmentin.

Strep... its everywhere and in many different forms. Sad our kids immune systems cannot handle something so ordinary.

I'm hoping someone might have some medical answers to this. I'm waiting back to hear from a dentist but am jumping the gun.

Some months ago I noticed that while flossing my 6 1/2 year old daughter's teeth every night, the tooth she has a crown on would leave some black residue or even a tiny black spec on the floss.

I thought it was strange so 2 months later (about 6 weeks ago) I asked her dentist. He said it sounded like it's just food. I said it's black every time. He said that it's probably just dried blood. It is definitely not dried blood.

I have been paranoid that her PANDAS symptoms may be caused by some type of metal leaking from the crown.

But after digging in deeper I started to come across the possibility of a cavity developing underneath the crown. Then found that "tooth decay" can indeed be black and that it's possible to leak out from the crown.

What I found next kind of made my stomach drop, that "Dental Caries" or cavities/tooth decay is "an infection, bacterial in origin."

and...

Streptococcus Mutans

Streptococcus Sobrinus

Candida Albicans

Lactobacilli

Now I know those forms of strep are in everyone's mouth (from what I've read) but COULD it be possible that this "black" tooth decay is leaking out and causing my daughter's:

Rage

Major Mood Swings

I have started to keep the floss from each night and taped it to a paper inside of a plastic sheet. You can clearly see blood on some next to the black stuff and they are completely unique. This is not blood I am dealing with.

Thank you!!

Losing Teeth and dental cleanings are a big PANS/PANDAS trigger for both my kids. Yes strep lives on teeth and does cause severe symptoms especially in my two. I increase antibiotic when they are getting in new teeth and there has been an eruption in the gum line. Flossing and seeing blood will give the bacteria a way into the bloodstream. Strep lives in biofilms on teeth and when the gum is compromised the symptoms can ramp up fast.

Some things that help my kids is chewing Spry Xylitol Gum it kills strep, rinsing with Spry Xylitol or other xylitol rinse. Increasing antibiotics and probiotics.

Avoid flossing till it bleeds only light flossing or skip it for awhile. Maybe your dentist can take an xray to ensure no dental cavity. Strep is the bacteria for dental cavity.

My 10 year old was in complete remission for nearly 8 months when his 12 yr molar erupted (early) he was set back for about two weeks we got it under control by adding augmentin.

Strep... its everywhere and in many different forms. Sad our kids immune systems cannot handle something so ordinary.

I'm hoping someone might have some medical answers to this. I'm waiting back to hear from a dentist but am

and...

Streptococcus Mutans

Streptococcus Sobrinus

Candida Albicans

Lactobacilli

Rage

Major Mood Swings

Thank you!!

Edited by Missmom

Can you please tell me where I could get some of that spry rinse and gum? We would like to schedule a cleaning but am afraid to because my son has been doing so well. He actually wants to get his teeth cleaned-it has been over a year, so any extra layer of protection would be worth a try. Thanks

Is this dentist the same that put that crown on? Was it part of a root canal?

I would consider going to a different dentist and get another opinion. They can xray it and see if there is decay.

re: Xylitol products: they can be found online like at Amazon. As for teeth cleaning, if it's been over a year, I would really consider getting them cleaned. you could increase abx prior to cleaning and give an anti-inflammatory after the the appointment. Tooth decay, the need for novocaine and possible anesthesia is scarier to me than a cleaning.

Yeah same dentist. We've booked another appt to have it checked out. I've been saving the floss every night in a scrap book. Each time a black reside/granule is left on the floss near that crown. So strange.

I don't really have an answer for you regarding the possible cavity, but I have read a number of posts on this forum over the last few years about exacerbations of PANDAS/PANS after dental cleanings or dental work. You can do a search and read these past posts to learn more. When was the crown placed in relation to the onset of her symptoms this Fall?

I did want to mention that I developed mercury poisoning - we believe from my amalgam fillings - some years back. I had to have them removed and then go through chelation to recover my health. You should ask your dentist if he used amalgam under the crown, and if he did you should go to a mercury-free/environmental dentist and have it safely removed. Amalgam fillings are about 50% mercury and they DO leak, no matter what your dentist tells you. They shouldn't flake off (thinking of the black specks you're finding on the floss), but I don't know for sure that it's impossible.

You can find a mercury-free dentist in your area on www.IAOMT.org. This is is the website of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology.