ACN Latitudes Forums

Does anyone have any ADHD tips?

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for helping a child with ADHD. My child is 8 years old and our doctor has recently diagnosed him with ADHD. Can anyone recommend a good book for someone new like me to read?

Jerry :lol:

Hi Jerry,

My son was diagnosed in the 4th grade with ADHD. I think

I can give you some hints for reading. One of the books is called,

"Driven to Distraction." by Edward M. Hallowell. I thought his insights were valuable. My son is 19 yrs old at the present time. I think that after having gone through times with him where he was on and off medicine has proven something valuable to me. He is presently off medicine and has been for quite

some time. When he did take medicine (ritalin, concerta) I always had the feeling that he was not himself. Perhaps a difficult thing to truly convey in words here in this forum, but I have come to view his ADD as more of a personality trait that identifies him as someone with a special gift. These people are risk takers and they are very creative. It has been perhaps

easier now that he is older to see him off of the medication, but this is the way he is happiest. Medication choices are up to the individual. I found some

holistic approaches to be helpful indeed. Diet and nutrition are very impacting to these individuals. You have to view their treatment as not so much black and white but something in which you must always be adaptable. Accepting their personalities as being creative and gifted has been my challenge but well worth the effort. I found a lot of consolation in the book entitled, "The Indigo Children." By Lee Tober and Jon Carroll. Almost any research you do will lead you to the place where you take what is appropriate for your child, and leave what does not apply behind. Most of all, be an advocate with your child at school. Be involved in the classroom experience. No two children are the same so be assured that your child is given exactly what he was meant to have here on this earth for a personality. Revel in the wonder of it....the creative aspects of these personalities are endless. View yourself as special because you have been given a child such as this. You are both special and try to view a one day at a time attitude. It helps alot.

Good Luck in all you are undertaking!

Marie

Marie

Thank you for your supporting words and for recommending a couple books. I will be sure to obtain a copy of one of these books, so I can learn more. I am definitely trying to stay away from medications and go with the alternative therapy approach. Also, I really appreciate your classroom related tips. Good luck with your 19 yrs old son. Thanks again for all your help! Take care.

Jerry

Guest Bonner

Jerry, I have been looking for answers for about 8 years. Through research on autism for my daughter, I have discovered alot about adhd(my son). Many of these children have an intestinal yeast overgrowth (about 90%) that can be treated with probiotics and an antifungal. Most of their metabolic processes are screwed up. We have tried all of the dope recommended by the drs. They aren't very successful and certainly don't treat what is causing the problem. I would recommend using the internet to get educated. There is a new book out that would be great for you to read. It is Children With Starving Brains by Jacqueline McCandless M.D. Some good websites to get started with are www. greatplainslaboratory.com and www.kirkmanlabs.com and take links from there. There children are usually suffering from an environmental insult such as mercury in vaccinations (Thimersol) or some other heavy metal exposure. I would get recommend an organic acid urine test from Great Plains Lab and a hair analysis test from Doctors Data. You can use the counting rules on the autism-mercury website on yahoo to give you a more indepth interpretation of the results. I have been hearing about really good results using an agent called PCA-RX to remove the heavy metals.

Bonner,

Thanks for all the valuable information. There appears to be a lot of information that I need to absorb. I suppose the internet is one of the best resources for obtaining information. I will talk to my doctor about some of the recommendations you made regarding PCA-RX, yeast overgrowth, etc. I personally had a hair test done at a lab one time and it gave me a wealth of information about deficiencies in my body. I'll look into that for my child. I really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Hi Jerry,

I am a registered dietitian that specializes in treating adhd, tourettes, and autism. go to amazon.com and get a book by dr. nambudribad titled say goodbye to allergy related add/adhd. you will be very happy once you read it and find a practitioner in the area. i have amazing success with my clients and this protocol. i also have a son that HAD tourettes and adhd. he still occasionally gets hyper until i figure out what the trigger was and treat the allergy, other than that he is awesome.

good luck,

kim marin :lol:

You are definitely correct Karen. These posts have been extremely useful advice. I am overwhelmed with information!!! Thank you to all who have replied and special thank you to Latitudes for this great forum. I'm sure I'll be busy for the next few weeks researching all of these great tips!

Thanks again.

Guest Scott Hill

I live in Denmark, and we have a trial program here to treat ADD iwth biofeedback. There is a discussion ongoing in the biofeedback / neurofeedback group on yahoogroups, should you be interested in participating.

I am aware of about 4 alternative techniques which may--or may not--help in treatment, but I haven't had a chance to check any of them out.

So, the discussion is still open!

Scott Hill

biophysicist

research director

Frontiersciences Europen Network

http://frontiersciences.zzn.com

B)

Scott

Thanks for letting me know about the biofeedback/neurofeedback. What are these 4 alternative techniques that you know of? Whether they work or not I would like to do some research on them.

Jerry B)

Jerry,

Two books that might be helpful are "Food Allergy and Intolerance" by Jonathon Brostoff, M.D. and "Is This Your Child" by Doris Rapp, M.D.

My experience in treating children with ADHD/Hyperactivity involve determining hidden allergies and treating these allergies to foods and chemicals and inhalents with immunotherapy either utilizing Enzyme Potentiated Desensitization or Allergy Neutralization. These treatments are discussed in the above mentioned books.

These methods of evaluation and treatment have a long track record and good objective studies that support their use and efficacy in the medical literature .

Thank you for the feedback Dr. Robbins. I have heard good things about Doris Rapp, so I will probably purchase her book. You have been helping a lot of people in this forum. Thanks again for your expert advice.

Jerry

• 2 months later...
Guest Marjorie
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for helping a child with ADHD. My child is 8 years old and our doctor has recently diagnosed him with ADHD. Can anyone recommend a good book for someone new like me to read?

Jerry :D

There is a wonderful book that endorses the nutrients in the beCALM'd product for ADD/ADHD kids called Hyperactivity ADHD New Solutions by Dr. Shirley Lacy, PhD, go to: http://www.1stbooks.com It is available for only $17.95 or it can also be electronically downloaded for $3.95 (note: size is 684K. . . . you may be time and money ahead to just purchase the 106 page soft bound manual).

This book is an ideal reference source for doctors and people who want to see test study results of using nutrition(including beCALM'd) on ADHD kids.

For more information on beCALM'd, go to: http://www.ADHD-relief.com

Guest M. DeBoer, Ph.D.

I would recommend the following books: Healing ADD by Daniel Amen, Getting Rid of Ritalin, by Hill and Castro and The ADD Book by Sears and Thompson. All of them discuss using neurofeedback, diet and other drug-free measures.

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest_Heather

Claire,

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have a very thorough doctor!!! I think my son has some problem detoxing as well so I was interestd in your comment about low antioxidants. Can you tell me what he gave you for supplementation in that regard? Vitamin C, E, A????? Brand? Thanks again for sharing his thoughts. Every tidbit helps.

Heather