ACN Latitudes Forums

Seroquel and NAC

melanie

Trying a low dose of seroquel but Dan uses Nac. Is there a problem with that. Not happy so far with the medication and I'm not sure if the nac is reacting with the seroquel.

Melanie --

Honestly, I'm not certain if the NAC is likely to "supersize" the impact of the Seroquel or counter it. As I understand it, Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic that blocks/inhibits both dopamine and serotonin receptors. Now, does that mean that it helps prevent dopamine and/or serotonin from being absorbed as quickly, leaving them available for the brain's use for a more extended time, or does that mean that it prevents the receptors from recognizing the serotonin or dopamine, thus dulling their impacts on the brain?

Meanwhile, NAC, as a precursor to glutathione, is supposed to facilitate, at the "trunk level" of the whole process, a person's production of serotonin; that's why, as I understand it, successful supplementation can mean lower SSRI doses or no SSRI dose at all, because it is inspiring higher serotonin levels on its own, without having the serotonin's uptake necessarily inhibited by another agent.

Seroquel, I have to say, did nothing for our DS at lower doses, and at higher ones, it just knocked him out. I suppose if anxiety/agitation are high and sustained, the "knock out" impact of Seroquel might be welcome for a respite for both Danny and you, but other than that, I don't know what it brings to the table in terms of any sustained use. :mellow:

I cut the rose in 1/2. .25 at night I can't get rid of his anxiety. The 1 st week was horrible. Since I cutit he's been ok. Just want to help him. Not a fan of the anti psyche meds. Has bad experience with risperadol and abilify years ago. Ughh .

500 mg depakote. Dr j wants him off the depakote she says it's a problem for immune system.