ACN Latitudes Forums

Mycolplasma Pnuemoniae

Dr B tested our whole house, on several occasions. Everyone has always tested negative. Just this year my mother moved in with us (coincidently this is when my 3 kids started exacerbating). Meg has been out of school since September and we start IVIG in 2 weeks. Dr. B retested everyone and my mother and myself are positive for Mycoplasma!! Her number is higher than mine. I am assuming she gave it to me??

How is this treated? Long term or short term antibiotics?

Thanks!!

I have hopes that this is our ticket!!

Yes, your mom could have passed it along or you could have passed it to her....hard to tell. Did you test IGG or IGM positive?? If you are IGM positive (recent or current infection), you may be able to kick it out with a much shorter course of antibiotics, however, if your IGG is high, this would indicate chronic phase and might require a longer course of treatment. You are very fortunate that others in your family did not get it....4 of my family members tested positive for IGM...ds8 (pans) given 1 month treatment dose zith, the rest of us only 10 days. My DH who tested IGG pos was given nothing....I do not feel this was adequate treatment and so we are going to visit with LLMD as I believe she will address the Myco more diligently. Dr. B, from my understanding, treates aggressively so you may be ok there. Our Pans doctor told me that the Myco P. bacteria comes around and hits hard every 7 years. We got it this past Feb so maybe it was a big year for Myco p in N. America. Good luck.

Edited by ash

Azithromycin should clear it unless you and/or your mother have immuno issues. Although this critter can be transferred by ticks, it is also an opportunistic beast that likes to jump in during bouts of pneumonia. We attracted it with walking pneumonia. Interestingly, my classic Strep:PANDAS kiddo got rid of it in the normal way, with a z-pack. His igg has always remained elevated for it, however.

All four of us were positive with high numbers for past infection too. Zith, Doxy, and Biaxin depending on the presentation (ears, joints, lungs/throat) and 14days - a month's worth depending on the data.

Edited by EmilyK

My mother has same ASO and Myco levels as my DD! Dr B suggested 30 days of Bactrim from her GP. So disapointing after 5 months of abx taht we tested DD who has the same level Myco and ASO. (also has Lyme & Co so we are treating for all). Dr B said is either my mom passing to her, my husband who we are testing now or possible resistant. I am going to re-test too. When I was a kid I remember my ped telling me I was one of those people who always had strep in my thorat, I always swabbed +, but my ASO is normal now. It's good to test everyone, we didn't test my husband originally because he didn't go to the appointment and now I wonder if he is a carrier.

Edited by Hopeny