ACN Latitudes Forums

Does anyone else deal with this compulsion?

Ian's latest compulsion is to copy sounds or gestures that we make. Not everything, just things like clearing the throat, or copying us if we scratch our nose, or something like that. It appears to be limited to those types of things. It is drying me batty, but I think it has turned into a compulsion he can't help. He is a goofy kid anyway, and loves to be a comedian, so I think he used to do it on occasion just to be silly, like copying things we would say, etc. But now if I clear my throat or sniff (often since I have cold) he does it right after. Maddening but I was just curious if anyone else has noticed anything like it. It is constant and even during homework or any time, so I really don't think he realizes it... :)

Edited by lmkmip67

Yes I see this at home a lot. If ds makes a loud sound or noise dd will start at times and it becomes a loud game. I ask for them tk stop and eat and it's a struggle. And ds who is older has told me he can't control it at times and when dd starts up his eyes widen and he is happy to let it all out. Yes it's a mad house around here at times and I have to intervene at times and send them upstairs until they calm down. The funny thing is they will do it ag hind but be fine at other people's houses during dinnet because they hold it in. Sometimes I feel like they love to drive me crazy!!! But j know they cant control it at times and once they get started I am doomed until I ask dozens of times and have to seperate them. I know being at home and being able to let things out is good for them. I guess I am able to tolerate it to a point but it drives DH crazy. He thinks they have no respect and don't listen but I know it's not on purpose and once I seperate them and give them a chance to calm down things are better. When I have one at home it's fine but when they get together it's a different story!!

Mar

Hi - could it be ticcy rather than compulsion - like echolalia? there's a term when it seems like the compulsion/tics merge.. tourettic OCD? not sure if that's it. I maybe see a touch of it in one of my kids repeating what's said on tv sometimes.

Dut,

Brought back memories. My DS's ERP therpiast wrote an article in 2005 in which he coined the phrase toutrettic OCD. Am providing the link below. My DS is case number 2. Some inaccuracies. We had to do the ERP for nearly two years (article says six months.) He started shorly before a dx from NIMH--he was rejected for the study because he was too chronic and we were given no advice on how to treat, so all we had was ERP. Also, thee article plays up the benficial effects of Tenex--it slowed him down so much we had to drop it quite quickly.

KO's Mom

http://focus.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=52419