ACN Latitudes Forums

fructose malabsorption

mkur

Found this very interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

says "up to 30% of the population of Western countries and Africa" and

"The physiological consequences of fructose malabsorption include increased osmotic load, rapid bacterial fermentation, altered gastrointestinal motility, the formation of mucosal biofilm and altered profile of bacteria"

"Some effects of fructose malabsorption are decreased tryptophan[citation needed], folic acid[5] and zinc in the blood.[6]"

I don't know anything else about this but will do some more research.

I've lost count of the people I know who have been recently diagnosed with fructose malabsorption (more than ten in a six month period) and it's making the world of difference for them to go on the FODMAPS diet developed by Sue Shepherd. For one friend family dinners became a source of conflict because of his mother's dependence on onion and garlic in her cooking...she could cope with her husband's diabetes but not her son's diet requirement! It was a stark choice for him - either he didn't eat her cooking at all or he did and suffered the consequences. Either way he was in trouble!