ACN Latitudes Forums

Gut Inflammation ideas

perhaps I am missing something but my understanding that gut issue is actually an microbial flora issue. you want to create a "good" as opposed to "bad" flora. There is an article in the last issue of the New Yorker about this. What the article shows is that no one seems to know what exactly makes flora "good" and how to create it. Apparently, taking probiotics that have yogurt cultures may not be enough.

This would be in addition to GAP diet not as an alternative to it.

Just realized every time son has been on abx dr. has put him on minerals. This time around we are putting the following in 1cup of filtered water:

Matrix electrolytes 1 tbl

Micro minerals- 2 tbl

M-water- 1capful

Unda 243 - 15 drops

Galactose- 2 tsp. (helps with methylation)

He is supposed to sip thruout day.

Keep in mind if the gut flora is compromised, some, or most of what you try and supplement orally may not be absorbed.

Good point. Son is mostly on the GAP diet already. We have done 'hair testing' to ascertain vitamin absorbtion and seen much improvement in the past.

Most of son's vitamins right now are D3/D/chlorella/Fermented cod liver oil/MILA. Trying to make sure Vit. D is up for GcMAF injections in the near future. We are working hard on getting the gut in a better place (since last flair) before doing the GcMAF as the injections can increase gut inflammation.

Off to pick up veges. from a local farm. :)

I have used Xifaxin before and I found it easier on my system over Vanco.

I was also wondering if you are using L-Glutamine for lower intestine at all. Most of the Glutamine in our body is produced from the lower intestine.

"Glutamine is one of the most important nutrients for your intestines. It has the ability to 'repair a leaky gut' by maintaining the structural integrity of the bowels"

Here is a decent link: http://www.antiaging-advisor.com/L-Glutamine-benefits.html

SF, i am very curious if you have tried or started l-glutmaine.

I was reading about how it helps the intestines and ordered some.

And upon rereading the link i have earlier in this thread by amy yasko..(i can't seem to find the exact reference..so maybe it was another article).

glutamine converts to glutamate(bad thing)

found these 2 though

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15052410

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/05/01/glutamine.aspx

Not saying you are talking about high doses.

DS did not respond well to Nac..or at minimum no effect.

Currently we are giving a fork of saurkruat a couple times a week to help replenish some varying microbes. But since we are sal free currently, I have to watch the fermented stuff. But as long as i dont give too much i think he will be fine.

I wonder if giving a "dash" fo glutamine once a week would just help those 4 or 5 cells. Then the next time it helps 4 or 5 other cells in the intestine, without loading it up and getting the load to the brain.

In dosing, I think that 1 a day system isnt' necessary even for healthy people. Rotating what the body needs and then backing away. I have personally always done that. Unfortunately it is more difficult to get a read on kids, as they may not be as in tune with their bodies, though some are. ALso, kids will do what their parents tell them and take stuff not realizing maybe they should articulate that something isn't right or the different wonkiness that supplements and medicines are can give them.(even if not listed as a side effect)

But as I think about it. One drop of GSE started screeches that lasted untill we hit it with vanco. So who know?

Fixit:

Yes we've been using L-Glutamine by Thorne 'powder form' one scoop per day. It was recommended by our pediatrician that specializes in treating Autism biomedically for gut issues. Its hard to say if its helping or not yet. I think its one of those things in a year or so when we do another stool analysis I'll be able to say one way or the other. Definitely, no adverse effects.

We also eat a lot of saurkruat in our family!!!

Son is still having gut issues 10 weeks after flair. One thing we heard to try is Claritin or Claritin 'D'. Some people have one work and not the other. Maybe this has already been mentioned here. We are trying it starting tonight! Will start with Claritin first because have heard the Claritin D can cause hyperactivity.

The others are prescriptions of which have not heard of before:

Xifaxan (see if insurance will cover)

Vancomycin (2nd choice if insurance will not cover the other one)

Anyone tried these before for the gut?

Our son has been on Xifaxin several times and just recently for 25 days. It is effective for SIBO small intestine bacterial overgrowth. Minimal side effects, it stays in the intestines. It is expensive though if insurance does not cover. About $400 for a 10 day supply.

Our son has been on Xifaxin several times and just recently for 25 days. It is effective for SIBO small intestine bacterial overgrowth. Minimal side effects, it stays in the intestines. It is expensive though if insurance does not cover. About $400 for a 10 day supply.

Thanks for the info. Kathy. My son is on it for 14 days and then on Vancomycin for another 14 days. Insurance surprisingly covered both but the Vancomycin will be over $100 for my portion so must be really expensive too.

At the beginning of all of this (2+ yrs. ago) son had an endoscopy that showed an inflamed small intestine. That was it. So the Xifaxin may be helpful.

Dr. has him on a mineral drink while he is on these.

Thanks for the info. Kathy. My son is on it for 14 days and then on Vancomycin for another 14 days. Insurance surprisingly covered both but the Vancomycin will be over $100 for my portion so must be really expensive too.

At the beginning of all of this (2+ yrs. ago) son had an endoscopy that showed an inflamed small intestine. That was it. So the Xifaxin may be helpful.

Dr. has him on a mineral drink while he is on these.

I hope the xifaxin helps. At one point in this journey when we first tried xifaxin, we saw dramatic overnight changes for the better but the good came with the bad...diarrhea and lots of it so we had to stop the med. We waited 2 years and tried it again for 2 1/2 weeks and it did not help too much, but it did not hurt either. I just pray it helps your child!