ACN Latitudes Forums

CONNECTION BETWEEN STREP AND MYCOPLASMA?

MycoP has been seen a lot as a trigger for PANS. It has no cell wall so it can be very difficult to treat if you have it chronically because it hides everywhere, similar to strep. MycoP is actually a relative of strep that mutated millions of years ago so maybe that is the connection you have read about? Myco can be gotten through insects in addition to air, food, etc. so it can be a co-infection with Lyme. When Lyme is suspected it is routine for LLMDs to check for Myco, too.

Thank you. I think it might be time to request testing for Lyme also then. I don't know how much luck I will have with this in Australia however, as there is a HUGE health debate here on whether Lyme even exists here!! I am sure I came across a Lab here who sends out their test kits and processes them in the US, might have to find that one again.

We've got strep and mico co-infection in my DS and the rest of us also have mico.

Do you know whether the Myco is like Step in that someone else infected in the house could upset the antibodies, the way a PANDAS sufferer reacts with someone else having strep? I have just been very unwell myself, with a nasty chest infection etc and was wondering whether its worth my while now getting tested for Myco also now that DS has had this positive test?

I don't think you flare around myco in the same way a child can when just around someone with strep. With myco ithe concern is more that it is so easy to get reinfected and if you are already prone to it and live with a carrier, you are pretty much passing it back and forth. That's true for strep, too.

So as I read up on mycoplasma, I bump into this: "They can also slide right through laboratory and hospital filters used to produce or maintain sterility – making them one of the most common contaminants in diagnostic laboratories and vaccine manufacturing. In one recent study of vaccines, mycoplasmas were found to contaminate about six percent of commercial vaccines." from this article - yuck!

Edited by EmilyK

So as I read up on mycoplasma, I bump into this: "They can also slide right through laboratory and hospital filters used to produce or maintain sterility – making them one of the most common contaminants in diagnostic laboratories and vaccine manufacturing. In one recent study of vaccines, mycoplasmas were found to contaminate about six percent of commercial vaccines." from this article - yuck!

Oh wow!! No wonder so many people have it along with other things, it's far too common! I might just get myself checked also to ensure I am not reinfecting DS also. SOOOO much to learn about all of this stuff!