ACN Latitudes Forums

Any advice before ds is dicharged tonight?

Ds is leaving the hospital with a staph infection from an ingrown toenail that we've been fighting for nearly 2 weeks. Today, I noticed it was worse--purple and warm. Believe it or not, the infectious doctor the hematologist consulted recommended that I take him to the ER or to his ped for a culture--it was cultured 2 weeks ago. I can't believe that in a hospital full of doctors, no one can take care of this! I am nervous about finishing a PEX with a trigger in his system. Ped office just called and will see him tomorrow--they recognize and treat simple PANDAS.

Any advice. I don't want to do the wrong thing. Thanks!

Staph not responding to ABX ? have they considered MRSA ? That can be tough. I've read a little about silver being able to tackle MRSA but don't know how much credit to give that, but there are some legit appearing articles on it, although I really know nothing about how effective it actually is.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/27431.php

and this massive article certainly has a lot of info on it...

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2004/november/Thomas/Introducing-Silver-Dressings.html

The conclusion seems to indicate that some silver dressings can be helpful in addressing abx resistant infection ...

Just a thought, I have no experience with any of this personally.

But if I was dealing with stubborn staph I'd certainly at least want the option on my radar.

-Jim

Silver?!! That was a fascinating read! Thanks, Jim. I'm going to ask the ped about it tomorrow. My dh has had MRSA. He needed inpatient care. It is a scary bug. It is good to know that there may be another option when abx do not work.

Fortunately ds does not have MRSA--just straight up staph. Thanks for responding.