ACN Latitudes Forums

Canker sores

Mouth sores can also be caused by anemia. My daughter has thalassemia, and can't tolerate many abx or nsaids because they make her anemic. We were desperate last weekend, so I tried some ibuprofen. By the second day, she had mouth sores and a bloody nose - all signs of anemia.

I could imagine long term antibiotics creating poor absorption of nutrients, leading to anemia.

Only skimmed the posts so sorry if I'm reiterating...

if I use tooth whiteing toothpaste like crest or similar I get ulcers in my mouth.. tongue and inner cheek that go as soon as I quit the toothpaste. Took a few reintroductions for me to be sure but it's a definite link for me.

LLM has already mentioned l-lysine. Our ped also recommends this for herpes type mouth sores/cold sores. She says good high dose for a few days but it can be excitory so may up anxiety in some kids....

I check my ds tonsils quite frequently for redness, but have noticed these blister looking things on the back of his throat. Anybody else ever had issues with this. They have been there a while, not really red or anything just looks like clear sort of raised blisters. Could it be a cancer sore on throat?

dd started with canker sores after she started getting lots of excema after her first flare-up. For her, it is linked directly with her diet - once we cut out certain proteins, the canker sore and excema both disappeared. When she has meat in particular, excema comes back within 12 hours, canker sores in mouth next morning guaranteed. It was explained to us that her immune system cannot differentiate between her own body's protein and certain food proteins,so when she eats them, it is creating a response that is attacking her own proteins causing the symptoms - summing up her wonky immune response in general (lol)

Good luck - canker sores are no fun...

Some eczema conditions are viral. Meats typically are high in arginine - an essential amino acid. Some viruses thrive on arginine. So if your DDs eczema is induced by a virus, cutting out foods that are high in arginine could starve the virus into remission or complete eradication. Likewise, adding lysine could also help (if you didn't want to eliminate meats from the diet). Arginine and Lysine are ying-yang. Too much of one can cause too little of the other. So adding lysine would reduce arginine as well as act as an anti-viral. It may or may not be an immune issue. But there's at least one other possibility rather than an immune response.

Thanks LLM! There is so much to learn on this sharp curve we've been on - I appreciate the info immensely...