ACN Latitudes Forums

Canker sores

I'd love to hear from anyone who's kids are getting canker sores. DS8 got his first one this summer in late August. Now here we are in Sept and he had two that started on Monday. Friday, he informs me has another one forming and when I look I actually see two more. So the first two are getting smaller and going away and now two more have popped up. I've been putting Milk of Magnesia on them and Anbesol for pain.

He's been in a flare since late June that started w/ tics and adventitious movements. I haven't seen any tics in two weeks and then I saw one yesterday and one today.

My ds gets them sometimes-- also during flare periods. Put two and two together after the fact, so we haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. Our ped wrote a rx for an antiviral and said to fill and start it next time he gets them. Hoping to see if it helps, and b/c that may also give us more info.

Sorry don't have more info-- my kids are still little clusters of mysteries, and far fewer answers...

nickelmama-

The weekend my dd went to stay with my mom (late august), my mom came down with a bunch in her mouth and on her lips, and felt a bit out of sorts. As soon as my dd came home, I could see an appearance of some pandas stuff.

Since, dd has not been 100%. She hasn't been in full blown pandas, but a def appearance of some issues. We have done two rounds of antibiotics and regular advil dosing, which help- but haven't sustained improvement.

We saw Dr T last week. He suggested testing for viruses (cocksackie being one).

I think I would try for an antiviral, and do a week of regular advil dosing- pretty benign treatment that may make big improvement.

Thanks for the info and advice. I've been putting Milk of Magnesia on them, plus Anbesol. Also started up the Motrin. He's been in a flare but it was declining. He was also exposed to herpes zoster this weekend. His little friend spent the night Fri nite, then his herpes zoster flared up on Sat, so he's on acyclovir. He has an appt on Thurs, by coincidence, so I'll inquire about acyclovir or another antiviral.

My DD8 had these,at the time when I didn't know she had Lyme I googled it and found there was some ingredient on our Tom's toothpaste that could cause these. We stopped using Tom's and switched to conventional brands and they went away. I also had her rinse with Biotene. I don't know if Lyme was a factor as I have read of canker sores as a symptom, but it seems in this case it was the Tom's

My DD3 had mouth sores from coxsackie and I used mylanta and they went away.

I don't use Orajel because I read that it is dangerous but I don't know if its the same issue for Ambesol with older kids.

The one thing that works for these is Listerene mouthwash, full strength on the sore for at least 30 seconds. Stings a bit, but starts the healing right away. Keep up twice a day until gone. Must be some topical antiviral. It does hurt at first but even at 8, DS preferred that to keeping the canker sore.

I have a slew of gum and mouth sores that appear when I am under stress. My dentist prescribes chlohexidine (Peridex) as a daily rinse to heal what sores I have, and to keep me from getting as many. It also stings at first, but after I spit it out, the pain that I had prior to rinsing is gone and the sores heal very quickly.

l-lysine is an OTC amino acid supplement that's a great anti-viral for some viruses. Knocked out my DDs EBV in short order after months of other things not working. You might try googling it with the various viruses on your radar to see if it might be a good fit. For the current sores, baking soda gets rid of them in ususally w/in 2 days in my house. Wet your finger, dip it into the baking soda and press it against the sore. Let it dissolve. Kids like the taste.

Everyone is such a wealth of info and experience. I did start a new toothpaste. He uses Crest Kids. However, his teeth are yellow from two years of augmentin, so I bought Arm and Hammer adult Peroxi Care and it has whitened them up using it each morning. I've been using it for about a month. I can't remember if I started it before or after the canker sores. I think I actually started it before, so I think I will stop using it and see what happens.

dd started with canker sores after she started getting lots of excema after her first flare-up. For her, it is linked directly with her diet - once we cut out certain proteins, the canker sore and excema both disappeared. When she has meat in particular, excema comes back within 12 hours, canker sores in mouth next morning guaranteed. It was explained to us that her immune system cannot differentiate between her own body's protein and certain food proteins,so when she eats them, it is creating a response that is attacking her own proteins causing the symptoms - summing up her wonky immune response in general (lol)

Good luck - canker sores are no fun...

He came home from school today and he has nasal congestion, despite having taken a 10mg Claritin this morning and Flonase. His temp was 99.3 thirty min after taking motrin. I think he's got a cold. He has allergies and takes claritin every day and has since Mar. The canker sores may be a part of what appears to be a cold.

dd started with canker sores after she started getting lots of excema after her first flare-up. For her, it is linked directly with her diet - once we cut out certain proteins, the canker sore and excema both disappeared. When she has meat in particular, excema comes back within 12 hours, canker sores in mouth next morning guaranteed. It was explained to us that her immune system cannot differentiate between her own body's protein and certain food proteins,so when she eats them, it is creating a response that is attacking her own proteins causing the symptoms - summing up her wonky immune response in general (lol)

Good luck - canker sores are no fun...

Some eczema conditions are viral. Meats typically are high in arginine - an essential amino acid. Some viruses thrive on arginine. So if your DDs eczema is induced by a virus, cutting out foods that are high in arginine could starve the virus into remission or complete eradication. Likewise, adding lysine could also help (if you didn't want to eliminate meats from the diet). Arginine and Lysine are ying-yang. Too much of one can cause too little of the other. So adding lysine would reduce arginine as well as act as an anti-viral. It may or may not be an immune issue. But there's at least one other possibility rather than an immune response.

My dd8 has also had some mouth sores, too, lately on her gums. I have also heard they can be caused/exacerbated by abx use. And yep, viruses can cause them but also an overall decrease in your immune system can bring them out. I've never had them on my lips, but I often get them on my gums when I get run down or have a cold.

It's great you are getting so many helpful responses :)