ACN Latitudes Forums

Food allergy Question

technodad

I had my son tested for food allergies and they said he had none that he was tested for. My question is would it be still worth the time to try removing things from his diet. For instance they said he was not allergic to Milk, but just because he is not allergic does that mean it has nothing to do with his tics. I was thinking about removing milk for a week and seeing what happens. Is it worth the effort if they say he is not allergic to milk? My son drinks a lot of milk.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree on eliminating tk see if it helps. We actually got our son the igg Elisa sensitivity test for about 88 different types of food and he came sensitive to 28 of them. We started an elimination diet on all of these and now know which ones are the worst offenders.

Mar

thanks it has been a couple months now and he still has his tics mainly vocal, but they can be pretty bad at times.

It is at his worst when he is eating, not sure what that means.

Not sure if I should start a new topic for this but how long after taking the magnesium does it take to see some results? I have tried the natural calm but he will only take a couple days in a row because he does not like the taste. Also, tried the Epsom baths but he has sensitive skin and was starting to irritate his skin. Could anyone recommend any good tasting chewables for magnesium for kids? Seems to be some available on internet like these:

http://www.nextag.com/chewable-magnesium/products-html

technodad...my son has an extremely sensitive skin but benefits from the Epsom baths...were you diluting the Epsom in a full tub of water? I am wondering if perhaps you made it too concentrated? If you are using only a half or less tub of water, then it should probably be only 1 cup of epsom

We saw immediate results with magnesium, but then remember my son has genetic TS where magnesium is proven to work

Chewables are fine provided they do not contain artificial flavor and color and are not just magnesium oxide, which is very poorly absorbed, so really just a waste of money

We also tried magnesium calm and he hated the taste so that didn't last long. We did the Epsom salt baths with he liked and I thing are good. But I still believe to get further testing for food and all outdoor allergies. Also I agree with Chemar about getting rid of MSG and all dyes. We do no dyes and preservatives as much as we can. How old is your child and has he ever had strep throat?

Mar

My son is 6. He had a lot of sore throats over last 2-3 years. He tested positive once out of four times he was tested for strep. He had a t&a last Nov and has not had a sore throat since. However we have ts or at least tics that run in our family, as i was diagnosed with mild ts as a kid and i have a cousin who has tics, also his mom has had off and on minor twitching.

Also, he get's worse when he eats and is excited (same times I get worse) such as when he is opening birthday presents and going to soccer games. Also, he has slowly gotten worse for about a year. It did not suddenly happen. It did get a lot worse first couple weeks of school which included a lot of big noticeable twitching of head/neck/jaw/arms/chest/whole body. However now it is mainly vocal throat clearing and pig like grunting with a little jerking of chest/shoulders when he is clearing his throat. It sure seems like the same kind of TS I have but a little worse. If he suddenly gets a lot worse I want to bring him to a pandas doc three hours away from us if I can convince my wife it is worth a shot.

Edited by technodad

The magnesium sulfate in Epsom Salt can sometimes be irritaing in high concentration. I use a medical grade Magnesium Chloride liquid from Health and Wisdom to do the magnesium soaks...little pricier, but the gallon bottle lasts a long time, you don't have to trouble with dissolving it, and it's less irritating on the skin.

Oh and just tried Natural Calm for first time yesterday ... after being very motor ticcy all weekend with head rolling, nodding, clapping ... really the worst he has been, not sure if it's coincidince, but they basically disappeared after the Natural Calm ... problem is he can't stand it ... need to get creative on how to get this in him if it's going to make that dramatic a difference in his ticcing.

Edited by jimTheBassPlayer

The sulfate in the Epsom Salts is an important part of the equation though! That is what aids in the detox property. Much better to use diluted Epsom Salts than add a chloride into the mix IMHO, especially as some people with TS are very sensitive to chlorides!

I got him to take a full dose of the Nature Calm yesterday (1 heaping tablespoon). The most he has taken ever in a day. He seemed worse after it. Last night he had the worst throat clearing/grunting and jerking since the first couple weeks of school. Other times I have given him a half tablespoon and I never thought it was helping either. But yesterday it seemed to make him worse. Now he was excited because he had his cousin coming over, but he has had his cousin over many times without him being this bad. Not sure if I should keep trying to get him to take it or not.

yikes!!!!! A heaping tablespoon of Natural Calm is way too much IMHO!!! Even for an adult! Did he have a runny tummy after that?

Excitement is a known tic trigger too

I meant teaspoon, not tablespoon. That is half the recommended does on the bottle, which coincides pretty well with recommended dosage for his age.

He has always had a constipation problem for years. We had the hardest time getting him to poop regularly, we had to give him miralax off and on for a couple years. Some of the problem he brings on himself as he will hold it sometimes. He had been struggling to go yesterday as well, so I figured a win/win if it helps him with the tics and go bathroom. But like I said it seemed to make the ticcing worse.

Yes a teaspoon is what is recommended for children. Phew...you shocked me a bit there with the heaping tablespoon :blink:

If your son is showing such a negative response to the magnesium, you really may want to look into something other than TS as a diagnosis...especially as you mentioned the strep throat stuff earlier.

Honestly, I wouldn't wait for things to get worse before consulting with one of the PANDAS literate physicians, as if this is strep induced, the sooner the brain inflammation is halted etc the better for the child's long term prognosis! The parents on the PANDAS forum can confirm that the longer you delay, the harder the healing becomes!

Chemar,

Haven't noticed any negative effects of using the Mag Chloride as opposed the the Mag Sulfate. And while I knew that the Mag Sulfate can address Sulphur deficiency as well as Mag deficiency, I am not familiar with the detoxing effects of Sulphur. Could you provide some info about that ?

Also, I've just started using the Natural Calm kids liquid multi, and so far it seems to be helping my ds ... the ingredients seem pretty straightforward and safe, however the inclusion of the DMAE is the one thing that I am not too familiar with. Googling hasn't really given me a lot of info, especially about it's safety and possible side effects. Wondering if you have any experience or info on that as well.

-Jim