ACN Latitudes Forums

Has anyone used seroquel or topomax?

a few years ago, before lyme diagnosis, and before abx. and ivig for pandas, dd was on various psych meds. lamictal and seroquel for about 6 months. Every month it was increased very slowly, but we saw no improvement. after her first ivig she improved enough to start taking her off them.

good luck

I'm not sure a lot of LLMDs think kids with bart need to be on psychiatric drugs, but I am sure a lot of main-streams doctors do. Our family doctor and pediatric psychologist both wanted DD11 on them before we found a LLMD and started treating the cause and not just the symptoms.

We have seen a psychiatrist with a specific interest in lyme, working with a lyme doctor, and 2 psychologists. All have said that, regardless of the cause (infection, whatever) you need to treat the OCD and not wait for it to go away on it's own with lyme treatment. I'm not sure I am in agreement, just reporting. The psychiatrist put our daughter on zoloft, slowly increasing to 150 mg. (she is 11, 105 pounds) and all it did is make her a little less sad. Now she also is suggesting seroquel, which is supposed to "help the zoloft do what is should do". Meaning decrease anxiety and OCD. Not sure I am buying this either, but that opinion is out there, for what it is worth. In the end, for us it is about getting through the night/week/month... Sammy Maloney was on some anti-psychotics, so there is one successful story anyway. CBT and ERP has been a bust, but we didn't get far at all - psychologist cut her from her patient list since my dd would not cooperate.