ACN Latitudes Forums

Metametrix Stool analysis

Was wondering if anyone could offer advice/opinion on my daughter's results. Thanks.

Sensitivity- Fungi: Unable to determine sensitivity to pharmaceuticals and botanicals due to the lack of growth of fungi in vitro.

Gastro Function Profile:

Predominant Bacteria- normal (bacteroides sp. borderline normal/high)

Opportunistic Bacteria- no clinically significant amounts

Pathogenic Bacteria- normal

Yeast/Fungi- Positive for Saccharomyces sp. +2 =>1000

Parasites- Positve. Parasite present, taxonomy unavailable (indicates an ingested protozoan and not a human parasite)

Adiposity- normal

Drug Resistance Genes- Positive (mecaA- Methicillin)

Beneficial SCFA:

Total SCFA- Low

n-Butyrate- Low

Acetate %- Low

Buturate- normal

Propionate- High

Valerate- High

Inflammation:

Lactoferrin- High (usually found in Chrohn's, UC or infection)

Immunology:

Fecal sigA- normal

Anti-gliadin sigA- High (gluten sensitivity)

WBCs- normal

Mucus- negative

PH- normal, RBC's negative

Digestion - normal

Absorption:

LCFAs- normal

Total Fat- High

Cholesterol- High (high total fat as does fecal cholesterol usually signals malabsorption)

Here is the link to the Metatrix interpretation of the test from their website (if you haven't already seen this):

http://www.metametrix.com/files/test-menu/interpretive-guides/GI-Effects-IG.pdf

When my son had the test run about a year ago, it came back positive for "parasite present, taxonomy unknown" as well. He also tested positive for the "hookworm" parasite. Some think the "taxonomy unknown" is picking up babesia. In my son's case this was true. Treatment for the hookworm parasite (6 weeks) was the first step in the right direction for him. He is still being treated for babesia (babesia is treated differently than other parasites).

Even if the "taxonomy unknown" parasite isn't babesia, it is some parasite, and can be treated. Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know :)

Okay, here is what I'm seeing, , FWIW.

She's not gluten free, is she? If she is not, it is saying she needs to be! (sorry). And only 100% works.

This test looks good to me- no yeast overgrowth (which is why it couldn't pick up recommendations for anti-fungals)

and no bad gut bacteria (like c. diff. or klebsiella pneu.)

It does pick up you are supplementing sacc.b.

Parasite unknown: could be babesia, could be protomyxzoa Fry bug, could be plain old nasty parasites, but indicates a parasite.

The lactoferrin high is interesting- indicating inflammation- again: GLUTEN.

Okay, here is what I'm seeing, , FWIW.

She's not gluten free, is she? If she is not, it is saying she needs to be! (sorry). And only 100% works.

This test looks good to me- no yeast overgrowth (which is why it couldn't pick up recommendations for anti-fungals)

and no bad gut bacteria (like c. diff. or klebsiella pneu.)

It does pick up you are supplementing sacc.b.

Parasite unknown: could be babesia, could be protomyxzoa Fry bug, could be plain old nasty parasites, but indicates a parasite.

The lactoferrin high is interesting- indicating inflammation- again: GLUTEN.

She is not gluten free. <Dread> She is already an extremely finiky eater, and in the past has lost weight due to flairs.

Quest blood draw: C Albicans IGG 1.1(H) and IGA 1.3(H).

Quest stool OVA/Parasites: Many yeast found.

Quest stool Fungal Stain: No fungal elements seen.

Started her back on Nystatin, but boy did she flair. Worse than previous time in the beginning when on it. We took her down to one Nystatin pill daily.

Trust me, nobody dreaded going gluten free with their kid more than I did.

But it made a big difference. My dd was 4 at the time, pickiest eater you'd ever seen, red hot temper.

I went cold turkey. The grocery stores now provide easy GF alternatives.

After a few rough days, she started eating protein and meats, we couldn't believe it- never could get her to before.

2 months after going GF, her preschool came up and said: I don't know what you've done, but she has blossomed, come out of her shell.

Looking back, I believe it was the reduction of inflammation.

I had her GF/CF for 2 whole years, worked on her gut, she was yeast queen.

Introduced gluten and dairy back this last January, with digestive enzymes- ones that have DPP IV enzymes that help break down these proteins.

Thrilled to reduce my grocery bill, the next Dr. visit for me showed ME highly intolerant to gluten.

Oh the irony.

So I've been 100% gluten free for 9-10 months. My digestion is better.

There are Lyme folks who will swear pain is reduced being GF.

You can always try it for 2-3 months, go back if no benefit.

How does one go about getting the Metametrix Stool Analysis done? Is this a test your LLMD ordered? Thanks

If you want to get it without a Dr.s signature, you can order it from

MyMedLab.com

It is the

GI Effects Complete MMX

How does one go about getting the Metametrix Stool Analysis done? Is this a test your LLMD ordered? Thanks

Dr. T has Metametrix kits and can send you one with a script. That's how I got mine. For me, it was covered by insurance, but it hits the out-of-network deductible. We had met our out-network-deductible for the year, but insurance still only paid half (the amount they thought the test was worth).

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions on a parasite treatment I could order myself? It would need to be mild as my daughter reacts to all vit/supps/abx. She has daily nausea and a severe fear of vomiting, so am worried about anything that may increase the nausea. Her liver functions are normal right now but were very elevated last fall/winter. One of them is rising again (slightly abnormal). Her Sed Rate which was in high 90's fall/winter slowly decreased to a normal level, but now increasing again (only at 25 though). My dd vomited after her last two IVIG's which is kind of odd, since she's been getting them for some time now and has not vomited.

Dr. B thinks she has strep and the Amox she is currently on is not treating it. Wants her back on zith, but it may have caused a drug induced lupus reaction last Dec. and I'm afraid of all the physical symptoms it caused. The symptoms didn't go away for months after stopping it.

Her aso/d-nase is in the normal level but increasing:

ASO- 26,45,46,87

D-nase- 214,237,246,274

But symptoms I am presently seeing remind me alot like when my daughter had giardia and c-diff 2yrs back. I had her tested through Quest a few times which is normal. So I keep coming back to this parasite result.

Edited by philamom

Para-A or Para- Comp both are herbal remedies. The amoxicillin doesn't give her much coverage for Lyme and think the combo with Azithro would be helpful minus the herx. AND, as you know the rising liver enzymes are another indication of Babesia.

Never heard of them -who are they by? thx

Here is a link for Para-A: http://www.evitamins4u.com/para_a

Here is a link for Parasite-Comp: http://www.enzymes.com/732.html

Alinia is always good as an antibiotic for parasites.

Thanks for the info. Had a phone consult with doctor today. We are going to try adding zith back on Thursday. Please send a prayer that it doesn't bring us a drug induced lupus flair. She is very,very tough right now - non compliant, won't brush/wash, exc. Begging to be placed with a foster home :(