ACN Latitudes Forums

Probiotics - what, how much and how often?

I'm having trouble piecing together all the remarks about probiotics. As it happens we've got some in the house already (Healthspan brand) - that's 5 billion live bacteria per capsule, 75% Lactobacillus acidophilus, 20% Bifidobacteria lactis, 5% Lactobacillus rhamnosus. (Culturelle isn't sold in this country that I know of, by the way.)

Is that the right stuff? (with azithromycin, don't know what dose unfortunately).

How often should I take it, and how many capsules? I know you're supposed to wait at least two hours after taking the antibiotics.

Incidentally the same firm do do another kind with 20 billion per capsule -

Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM - 25%

Bifidobacterium lactis BI-07 - 25%

Lactobacillus paracasei LPC-37 - 25%

Bifidobacterium lactis BI-04 - 22.5%

Bifidobacterium bifidum BB-02 - 2.5%

don't know if that would be better.

Thanks very much

Wombat140

Wombat --

Like a lot of things with PANDAS/PANS, probiotic types and dosage seem to be a case-by-case thing. Some people respond best to some, while others respond best to others. Additionally, while "high-dose" probiotics are advocated by some, they can lead to extra gas and/or bloating, so you will likely have to find your own ideal level with a little experimentation. Here're a few tips/ideas from our experience; I'm sure others will add theirs.

• Don't rely upon acidolpholus, which is a very common form of probiotic found in yogurt, kefir and packaged probiotic supplements like those little "pearls." This organism is readily killed off by antibiotics.
  • Mixed blends work well and may best support your system's balance.
  • Try and space your probiotics 2 hours or more away from your antibiotic dosages for the best chance at having the probiotics survive and do their work.
  • As for how often or how many times during the day you take probiotics, that sort of depends on your schedule, lifestyle, whether you're taking abx once or twice daily, etc. When taking abx, our DS took probiotics 3 times each day.
  • One probiotic we found very helpful was sachrymyces boulardii (?spelling?), also known as "sach b" and/or "s. boulardii." This is a beneficial yeast that helps crowd out "bad" yeast like candida, and it is resilient to most antibiotics so it can be dosed simultaneously if necessary. It also helps fight some abx side effects like diarrhea.
  • I wouldn't worry about brand names like Culturelle or Florastor, especially if they're not readily available where you live. They tend to be more expensive, anyway, and what matters is the form of organism and the unit count. Culturelle is lactobillus g, which can be found in many other brands, and Florastor is sach b.
  • When our DS was on full-dose abx, we tried to give him about 200 billion units daily. We tried more (up to 400 bu's at one point, but he experienced increased gas and was uncomfortable. With a little trial and error, we found 200 bu to be his "just right" level. Now, off abx, he continues to take about 60 billion units daily: a 50 bu mixed organism probiotic by Renew Life, and a 10 bu sach b. This level seems to be a good one for him "post abx."

Good luck!

This is what we use, but I do not claim it is the best, perfect or even amazing. It "seems" to do the trick for us. I give her one a day at 3pm since she takes Olive leaf in the AM and PM. I buy it from www.iherb.com for around $20.00 (My link).

Here is their international shipping page if you are interested: My link

Healthy Origins Natural Probiotic 30 billion CFU

Blend of 8 probiotics strains 30 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus acidophilus (La-14) 12 Billion CFU's †

Bifidobacterium lactis (Bl-04) 12 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus casei (Lc-11) 1 Billion CFU's †

Bifidobacterium breve (Bb-03) 1 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus salivarius (Ls-33) 1 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus plantarum (Lp-115) 1 Billion CFU's †

Bifidobacterium longum (Bl-05) 1 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus rhamnosus (Lr-32) 1 Billion CFU's †

Edited by Mayzoo

Now, off abx, he continues to take about 60 billion units daily: a 50 bu mixed organism probiotic by Renew Life, and a 10 bu sach b. This level seems to be a good one for him "post abx."

Hi!

I was wondering how long your son will stay on probiotics now that he is off antibiotics? My son is taking Ther-Biotic Detoxification Support by Klaire Labs--2/day. It is costly and, for the most part, my son has been off antibiotics since March. I would love to take the probiotic out of the mix! He also takes 20 chlorella/day.

Hi!

I was wondering how long your son will stay on probiotics now that he is off antibiotics? My son is taking Ther-Biotic Detoxification Support by Klaire Labs--2/day. It is costly and, for the most part, my son has been off antibiotics since March. I would love to take the probiotic out of the mix! He also takes 20 chlorella/day.

Honestly, I don't know. DS has always had some tendency toward GI issues (mostly gas), and his dad also seems to have some general GI concerns, as well, though all sub-clinical. So, since the probiotic seems to be setting those aside for the most part, I guess we'll stick with it for a while. The Renew Life one is a little pricey, but he only takes one of those each day so it won't break the bank, and the sach b. we give him is by Jarrow . . . very affordable.

Maybe you could consider a less expensive brand? Or, if he doesn't seem to have any GI issues, you could decrease them or even remove them entirely? Maybe try going to once a day and see if there are any impacts, then once every other day, etc.?

Maybe you could consider a less expensive brand? Or, if he doesn't seem to have any GI issues, you could decrease them or even remove them entirely? Maybe try going to once a day and see if there are any impacts, then once every other day, etc.?

Thanks, I'll take your advice. My son doesn't have any GI issues and really never has.