ACN Latitudes Forums

What would you do first?

KirstyZ

Hello Everyone,

It has been fairly obvious to me that since about the age of 2 my little boy has had what I used to call 'funny little habits'. His habits or tics as I'll call them now would come for a couple of months and then go away for a month or so to be replaced by a new one. He started with blinking, then shrugging with a head bob backwards, then wiping along both of his arms as if wiping off dust, and now Luca's most recent tic and his strongest has been affecting him almost on a continuous basis for the past 6 months - he lifts his arms up, spreads his fingers and shakes them around (like he's doing jazz hands) it affects him more as it stops him from doing whatever it is he's doing at the time. Along with the movement tics he's always had a soft noise that he makes everytime he breathes out like an "uh" "uh". He's also shown sensitivity to his clothing and socks can really annoy him if they don't feel 'right'. It's hard to figure out his triggers because he can be reading a book quietly and ticcing, or playing a noisy computer game and ticcing, watching TV and ticcing or playing football and I see him out there doing his 'jazz hands'.

At the moment he eats like a regular kid and has had no treatment at all.

My question is ......... where should I start? What should I do first?

I don't know whether to get him allergy tested, or to just eliminate some of the recommended additives or whether to start supplements or whether to do a full failsafe elimination diet.

So for anyone who has been on this road, if you could do it again what would you do and where would you begin?

Thanks so much for any replies.

Kirsty and Luca x

We did vitamins first and I think it was a good choice, we started with Kids Natural Calm and that alone helped.

I tend to be low key. We've done epsom salt baths and now we do other vitamins. We've also reduced dyes, HFCS and things like that but there's not 100% eliminated. My sons tics aren't bad now, we can live with where they're at. We'll see where it takes us.

It does feel overwhelming at first but it helps to realize you don't need to do everything at once.

Hi Kristy,

We just started our journey with dd about 2 months ago. She's been ticcing for three years and is now nine. She has motor tics involving her from the neck up (blinking, head tossing, head shaking, a yawning thing, nose wrinkle) and vocal tics (throat clearing, blowing out her nose strongly, and a quiet little yelp sometimes). They wax and wane and not all at once of course.. Sometimes they're gone for months and we forget she even has this issue. They got more pronounced this late summer/fall and we decided she wasn't going to "grow out of them" like the pediatrician suggested so we're trying to figure out what helps. We found an environmental doctor and made an appointment so we can get the tests done for allergies etc. We are having to wait three months to get in though, so in the mean time this is what we're doing; We eliminated gluten, dairy and as much sugar as possible from her diet as well as the artificial stuff and try to go organic as much as possible. I added a mutivitamin, magnesium, and a half teaspoon of colloidal silver twice a day (for now). Since her tics seem to be the worst during fall allergy season we put a HEPA aircleaner in her room ($70) and run it all the time as well as changing the furnace filter and getting special shampoo for the cat to neutralize her dander. Her tics are 50 to 80 percent improved over how they where when we started, depending on the day. Not sure it's due to anything we're doing or just a natural waning period but she's better and it feels good to be doing something. I am really looking forward to her doctor appointment next month.

Hi and welcome

I would get Sheila's book as that will provide a solid foundation of knowledge http://www.latitudes.org/book.html

Read through the Helpful Threads pinned to the top of this forum http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

If this is a true case of Tourette (bear in mind that kids are frequently misdiagnosed!) then starting to supplement magnesium is very important, along with the other supplements we discuss here and cleaning up diet and environment of potential triggers is essential

The potential for an infection connection (PANS/PANDAS etc) should also be investigated

You have found a great place to start. I came on board here only a month or so ago and have found so much valuable information and the forum is a great place to join with others for help, ideas and encouragement. It is all so overwhelming when you first take the plunge and begin the steps of change. As I have been encouraged here, just keep moving forward. I have a plan that includes a huge list of items, but realistically in my situation I can not condemn myself if I can't do it all at once.

I have started by adding the Natural Calm liquid vitamin/mineral combo, and slowly making some dietary changes. I have been doing this for about two weeks and have not seen his tics reduced but I will keep going forward.

I encourage you to stay on board with this forum and keep trying. It is lifestyle changes and that is always something that we have to strive to focus on every day. One day, one step at a time.

Jennifer

Hi and welcome

I would get Sheila's book as that will provide a solid foundation of knowledge http://www.latitudes.org/book.html

Read through the Helpful Threads pinned to the top of this forum http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

If this is a true case of Tourette (bear in mind that kids are frequently misdiagnosed!) then starting to supplement magnesium is very important, along with the other supplements we discuss here and cleaning up diet and environment of potential triggers is essential

The potential for an infection connection (PANS/PANDAS etc) should also be investigated

This information is very valuable. I used her recommendations.

Thank you everyone for your replies,

Luca came home from school yesterday and told me that the girl who sits next to him in class had told him that he was really rude waving his hands about all over the place and that he should stop being so silly. Luca is a very gentle boy and he always likes to do the right thing so he told me he sat on his hands all afternoon because he didn't want to be rude and silly and then he asked me if I could make it stop. Broke my heart.

So I am reading Sheila's book, have an appointment to see an allergist to test for chemical and food allergies and we've started to reduce all of the nasties - colours, preservatives, additives etc, and have started him on magnesium and omega 3 fish oil supps. I hope it helps.

It also feels good to share and know that we aren't alone.

Thanks everyone

Kirsty

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your replies,

Luca came home from school yesterday and told me that the girl who sits next to him in class had told him that he was really rude waving his hands about all over the place and that he should stop being so silly. Luca is a very gentle boy and he always likes to do the right thing so he told me he sat on his hands all afternoon because he didn't want to be rude and silly and then he asked me if I could make it stop. Broke my heart.

So I am reading Sheila's book, have an appointment to see an allergist to test for chemical and food allergies and we've started to reduce all of the nasties - colours, preservatives, additives etc, and have started him on magnesium and omega 3 fish oil supps. I hope it helps.

It also feels good to share and know that we aren't alone.

Thanks everyone

Kirsty

Kristy,

As as special education teacher and a parent of a child with TS, you might want to touch base with the teacher and educate him or her about tics in class so that she or her can manage that situation in class. Because this syndrome is not as prevalent as a learning disability or something like ADHD, many educators don't know what to do or how to handle a child who tics in class. Regardless, every child has the right to feel comfortable in their classroom.