ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin

Hi. I am new to this forum. My name is Stacey and my son is 5 years old and was diagnosed with pandas in July of this year. We think it is strep induced as his strep was positive and myco and lyme were negative. He improved about 85% on Keflex. He was on it for 2 1/2 months and Dr. T. wanted to switch to Augmentin (liquid) to see if we could get even more improvement. I had him on 3 days of Augmentin at 500 mg daily (250 twice a day) and he weighs 42 lbs. Does that seem like the right dose or too low? The reason I ask is because for the three days that I had him on it, he did worse. His anxieties came back again, having nightmares and waking up at 4 to run into our room and needing all the lights on when going to bed again, etc. His schoolwork was worse and he started scribbling on his work to ruin it. (we homeschool and he was not doing that on keflex)

I just wonder if I gave Augmentin enough time or if the dose was too low? I keep hearing alot of people have good success with it and I want to make sure I gave it a fair shot. It was so hard to see him be so afraid again of things. Back on the Keflex, and those went away right away. His ocd is up a little, though, now on the keflex. Dr. T hasn't returned my e-mails yet. Thanks!

Stacey

Stacey,

I am hoping someone here with more abx experience will chime in. My DS never had regression while on abx. But I will say that about six days after my DD started abx (Clindamycin) in August she had a huge meltdown. I had to call the ambulance, which took her to the ER and she consented (over 18) to go to the psych unit. It was so discouraging....but people on this board suggested she could be having a herxheimer reaction. When kids have this, as the infection is killed off there can a temporary great worsening in symptoms. That was hopeful for me, and I think it was correct. She has made steady progress since then.

Ko's Mom

DS is on Aug 850 2x daily and he weighs 100. He regressed significantly for the first six weeks on augmentin. Dr B told us to hang in and wait it out, which was tough. Did steroid taper at 10 weeks and by week 18 DS had gone into remission. No idea if that was caused by the augmentin, the steroids, or a combination of the two.

DS is on Aug 850 2x daily and he weighs 100. He regressed significantly for the first six weeks on augmentin. Dr B told us to hang in and wait it out, which was tough. Did steroid taper at 10 weeks and by week 18 DS had gone into remission. No idea if that was caused by the augmentin, the steroids, or a combination of the two.